Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Hey Guys,

Here's the latest article on storage. It is a key item you want to incorporate into your planning process.

It will save tons of time and money.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
When planning your 'Eat Great Cheap' program there are a few things you want to take into consideration:

health
price
variety

Here are some of the things I've been able to forage in the bazaar of groceries, farmer's markets, health food stores and last & most our home garden:

mung bean threads = appr. .20c per [they some 8 - 10 to a package]
red lentils [org]= 1.99 p/lb [caught a good sale]
pinto beans [org]= 1.29 p/lb
tomato paste = .89 p/3oz. can
millet [org]= .89 p/lb
brown basmati rice [org]= 1.29 p/lb

stop back frequently. I'll be adding to this list!

Last edited by Jason - Vegetarian Site; 02/21/09 02:58 AM.
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Jason whats Millet?

Rosie L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Hey Rosie!

Millet is a grain. A lot of times you'll see it in bird feeders, but it's quite nice for human consumption. We eat it all the time in my house.

You can make it sweet [like in a porridge] or savory [like rice].

It's inexpensive and has a smooth nutty flavor.

It can also be used as a great thickener in soups, stews and sauces. You'd have to grind it up first.

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
For the past month we've had family and friends pop through our place and a need to feed and feed big.

We employed our eat great cheap techniques and not only fed everyone for pennies on the dollar, but also had leftovers for later.

We used:
Tofu
Beans
Brown Basmati Rice
Quinoa
Tomatoes
Onions
Garlic
Greens
Peppers
Pasta
Coconut Milk
Cassava/Yucca
Taro
Mushrooms
Apples
Oranges
Raisins
Soymilk
Nutmilk
Nuts & Seeds
etc.

Each days meals stayed within our budget of $5 or below per person. [Most of the times it came out to between $2 & $3 per person]

So start filling your pantry with items like these.

Last edited by Jason - Vegetarian Site; 02/21/09 03:08 AM.
A
A
I just saw this on my profile. This is an excellent feature and gives appreciation to all the hubbers who have done some good work at hubpages. Thanks a lot for starting this. ----------------------------- [url=http://www.motorhomeinsurance.org/cheap-motorhome-insurance]Compare Cheap Motorhome Insurance[/url]

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Here's another quick tip:

Focus on your serving sizes. If we stick to having the right serving amounts of our meal portions it makes not over-eating easy while still satisfying our appetites and staying within budget.

Ex: Say for dinner you were having a baked potato, stuffed with lentil chili and a mixed green salad on the side finishing it all off with a nice cup of herbal tea.
  • you may end up eating a couple of stuffed baked potatoes $.20
  • filled with lentil chili $.50
  • topped with some shredded soy cheese or a cream sauce made from nuts or seeds $.10 - $.60
  • mixed green or herb salad $.50
  • home made dressing $.50
  • herbal tea $.30
  • now you still have a bunch of either leftovers or uncooked ingredients and your meal was between $2.60 and $3.50.

That's not a bad break and it puts everything into perspective. The primary thing you want to start with is the nutrient density, then you can fill in the caloric blanks with less expensive [still great quality] food items. It can stretch a good meal and make it great one. It's also a good way to stay within your $150 a month budget.

[side note: $150 is workable in a pinch, but here's a quick suggestion, if this is possible for you...
first start cutting and discounting the other less essential areas of your spending before you cut your nutrition budget. I speak from personal experience here. Whenever we had to make a choice between quality food & nourishment and the non-essentials [clothing, entertainment, etc.], we made our first priority our health and well being while cutting costs in others. You only have 1 body, 1 life and your health. If all of your efforts are centered outward and not focused inward, you may have a great house, beautiful car and all the bells and whistles life could offer, but without your health... what's it all worth?

There are many people spending all they have to regain their health. It may not have been valued enough before it was gone. If you can avoid this scenario, please turn your focus on investing in your health and determine to spend what's necessary to build it. Shave the other areas, not your good foods!]

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Dear Jason stretching it 4 pages for what? loong

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
These are fantastic tips, Jason! So inspiring! You make me recommit myself to better health. You're so right about spending money to regain health vs. investing in maintaining your good health now.

I am going to do this. smile

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Made the baked potatoes stuffed with lentil chili. Delicious! Even my Texas husband liked the chili. Thanks so much!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.