Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
When someone calls you and has a common ancestor, do you share or share it with a fee? Does it matter if it is a distant cousin? There are no right or wrong answers. Just wanted your opinion as this has been on my mind recently.

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
I am a sharer and I hope that when I share they will share their information with me and my family group. In fact I started a group first on Delphiforums and then on yahoo groups for a particular family and encourage family members to share and discuss the line. That particular line has been very successful.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
But, that not mean that I will copy all 6000 records that I might have in my possession free of charge.

L
L
I usually send information via snail mail once it is requested. It is rewarding to find relatives - distant cousins or not. If my genealogy ever expands to over 500 pages, I'll likely have to request postage and a copy fee. It is unreasonable to request 6000 pages for FREE.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Welcome - I do share a lot and either scan or make photocopies and send. In the old days, a requester always sent a self addressed, stamped envelope so that the person they were writing to would not have to spend a cent to respond. Of course, the hope was that you would get a response if you provided the envelope.

Over the years, it was polite to offer to pay for copies or to just send a check to reimburse for postage if you received a lot of copies. If there was give and take, then there might not be any charge.

G
G
I am a sharer. I have a scanner and send copies of documents and photos via email. I will make hard copies if anyone asks, but I haven't had to do that yet, with the exception of one family book.

A distant cousin and I were looking into our family line, he had a copy of a book written in the 1970's and he copied it and mailed it to me for free. I offered to pay for the copies and postage, but he refused. His only request was to "pay it forward" to the next cousin we find that doesn't have the information; and I did.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Welcome:

That is great. I do that every chance I can. My family group on Yahoo share a lot of information. Every piece of information helps fill in the tree and it is not good to have to re-invent the wheel each time someone begins researching.

Last edited by Angie; 09/16/08 06:29 PM.
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
shocked I would like a to share a recent 'sharing' experience and get your opinion. Just for background, I have only been doing Internet research for about 6 weeks. I have done genealogy (by leg-work) for 35-40 years. So about a month ago, on a surname forum site, I found a posting from a person looking for information of a distant relative of his who was my uncle-in-law. In essence, he was looking for my first cousins. I sent him everything I had: dates, locations, births, deaths, current addresses - the works - all without his asking. It only amounted to a few sheets of paper, and almost no time, so there would never have been the thought of his paying for anything.

Wouldn't a "Thank You" from him have been appropriate. Granted he never asked for specifics, but he was looking for information, and he got it. I feel like some acknowledgement was called for. What do you think? As I reread this I sound bitter; that is not what I intented. I would just like to know what I should have expected?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
GrannyH,

I think you should at least have gotten a "much appreciated thank you" note.

To share and get nothing in return is rude. This is family history and should be made available to every family member who is interested - but, if someone has gone to a lot of expense to duplicate info, then they should be compensated.

Last edited by Phyllis, BellaEd; 09/17/08 02:42 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Unfortunately, that happens more often than you would think. The person should have definitely responded with a thank you and a follow up. After all, you're family and you might have more information and leads. Once in awhile something happens and a response might be slow in coming but ultimately you hope one will arrive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GtownmaGenealogy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.