The BBC OUCH! eNewsletter led me to this recent story The Guardian(UK) - I had not thought about the Tropic Thunder's international release.

Tropic Thunder and the 'R-word'

Hollywood's offensive portrayal of a person with an intellectual disability should not be tolerated

Quote:

...The oppressive power of these words has deep resonance for individuals with intellectual disabilities and for the disability rights movement. In the lives of people with intellectual disabilities, the use of the R-word in this film represents a serious setback. The portrayal of this character sends a clear message to the audience that the lives of people with intellectual disabilities are worth less and that it is acceptable to degrade and dehumanise them...

...Later this year, Tropic Thunder will be coming to a theatre near you. In fact, Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks are depending on international distribution to save this wrongheaded film from financial disaster. Just as the film sparked an outcry in the US, it should serve as a stark reminder of the injustice and discrimination suffered by people with disabilities worldwide. ...

I dread finding out how they are going to market the DVD to make up for disappointing box office receipts - and don't tell me, it's obvious from 'customer reviews' all over the internet that most people are staying away because it's a turkey, not because advocacy groups called for a boycott.

It's sad to think that demeaning catch phrases marketed from the USA are going to be used to make children around the world miserable. Thank goodness we have wonderful athletes competing in the Olympics to remind people of other countries how much character and goodness there still is in our people.

Pam W
SE of Seattle

'Tropic Thunder' Movie Affects Ordinary Life
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art58185.asp

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website