Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hmarie Offline OP
OP Offline
H
i bought a plant at home dept....it is a brazilian..philodrendon.......so what is the care for this plant...it does have large leaves ( they seem to be round )is there any special care for this plant.......i repotted it because it had outgrown the pot...so far it seems to be doing well....any information will be greatly appreciated...

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
I have a question I hope that you can answer, sorry it's not about philodendrons, however, I bought a type of tropical plant with two bark-type trunks, I added 25# of soil to each large pot, it is beautiful and growing wonderfully. however, just of late it has developed tiny little gnats all over inside the pot. What is your suggestion on what to do. The original directions were to feed only once per week. It perfers drier soil. Thanks!

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Does anyone know how to get rid of tiny gnats that have formed inside my houseplant? I noticed one the other day, and found them in the pot and now it seems they have spawn everywhere, I want to catch this before it gets out of hand!
Thanks.

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Does anyone know about the gnat problem in potted tropicals indoor? I have them in at least two pots now! They are annoying, (I see them not sure anyone does) but still I do not know how to get rid of them. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
They ARE annoying, and the infested plants do not thrive, so you want to get rid of the little pests.
The gnat larvae live in moist soil, so the first thing to do is stop overwatering. Let the pot dry out as much as you dare. You can try watering with a soap solution then, or add some hot pepper to the water if you don't want to use any insecticides. Or spray the surface of the soil with a houseplant insecticide and then water so that it will seep down into the soil. Be vigilant and repeat if you see the gnats come back.
Good luck!

L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
Hey, hmarie!

Philodendrons like bright, filtered sunlight or bright shade. They like potting mix that drains well, preferring to be on the drier side of moist. Don't let it sit in water, and make sure that there are plenty of drainage holes in the bottom of the pot. Philodendrons also LOVE humidity, which can be provided with a humidifier, with a humidity tray, or with hand mistings. You don't need to fertilize it often. I would recommend fertilizing weakly at every other watering.

If you get a picture, I would love to see it!

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
As soon as I figure out how to re-arrange the location of posts, I will make a new place for this new thread.

As for your question, Mary, check out my article for this week. I wrote it in response to your question!

Fungus Gnats

laugh

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Thank you so much Lisa!
I'll be picking up the Schultz Garden Safe 3 in 1 right away.
We don't know how the houseplants were treated before we get them home so, I did folow directions, but I bought several bags of the soil from the walmart and they were stacked on top of each other and I'm sure they were very moist inside, thus creating the perfect environment for gnats to fester.
Thanks again for helping out, I'll let you know how things work out.
Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Last edited by mary-tea1; 09/01/08 11:19 AM.

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
H
hmarie Offline OP
OP Offline
H
how do i delete the postings i already have an answer to....so i can start another........thank you

L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
hmarie,

Don't worry about deleting your postings; they may come in helpful for others another time, so we will leave them. You can start a new post on the main houseplants page with a new topic anytime you like!

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
C
C
I too have a "Brasil" philodendron and it is one of my prettiest plants. It doesnt need elaborate care sorta like a pothos; just medium to bright light and let dry slightly between waterings.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay
"Rosie"

Rosie L
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sue - Houseplants 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.