Print Thread
#438333 07/25/08 04:51 PM
S
SWK Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
My 13-year-old stepdaughter believes that she saw a ghost in the woods yesterday. She was riding her go-kart deep into the woods in an area that is completely deserted when she says she saw "an albino man sitting on a purple lawn chair" watching her. She turned around and high-tailed it back to her dad. When she mentioned what she saw, he rode back to the same spot, but saw nothing. Now she's terrified to go back into the woods. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? We aren't exactly religious people, so we can't really use any religious explanations. I did tell her that maybe it was her "guardian angel," but the dubious look she gave me told me that this was kind of lame to tell a 13-year-old.

SWK
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
1st off, make sure that she wasn't just seeing things.

We are unfortunately living in the age of pedophiles and kidnappers. It is entirely possible that there was a man watching her, and when he noticed her notice him he hightailed it.

I don't mean to sound paranoid or cause a panic, but this is not something to take lightly.

If your daughter does not feel comfortable going out into the woods by herself, do not push her to do so.

It is FAR better to be safe than sorry in this day and age.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Another thing you can do is go back to the spot in the daylight with someone and go over to the spot to see if there any tracks or impressions in the ground of a lawn chair or something just to be sure there really wasn't someone sitting there.

It very well could have been someone sitting there just enjoying the quiet and the woody night air and he got just as scared and left when your daughter turned and raced back home.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
S
SWK Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
Thanks, Michelle and Vance! You both make very good points. The area was pretty remote, so there should've been some tracks or something there. My husband didn't see anything, but maybe the guy covered his tracks . . . She still swears it was a ghost, and the area is full of old homesteads, but I doubt anyone living "back then" would've had a purple lawn chair! We like to go camping, hiking, biking, etc., so I hate seeing her suddenly fear being outside. You're right, though: it is better to be safe than sorry.

SWK
A
A
Hello, I am ancientflaxman's other half. I am a parapsychologist and I deal with this type of thing from time to time. The first thing I would do is, do not make her think that you don't believe her. When these things happen, children are very vulnerable to ridicule. It is very possible that she saw exactly what she said she saw. Perhaps, someone could do a little research of the area and find out if anyone else has seen anything like this. You could also check to see if anyone has died in that spot, which could explain the spirit in that area. Perhaps, there had been someone who had lived in that area and loved it so much that upon death, he has chosen to stay there.
My husband saw things from the time he was very young and everyone made him feel stupid or crazy. This lead to his being very lonely and alienated from everyone. She is more that likely a very psychic child and will pick up on spirits in the area. This is a very beautiful gift. Spirits seem to gravitate to children, because they haven't been educated out of seeing the "other world." She needs to learn not to fear the spirits. They are not here to harm her. Perhaps he wants her help. Obviously, there is some reason for his appearing to her. With some research like I have suggested you will be able to fine out who this spirit is and you can go from there. If I can help you, I will do what I can.

Last edited by ancientcelticwoman; 07/30/08 02:21 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Being 13 has never been easy, and I think today it's even harder. Your step-daughter is at an age when some children first come into talents. My daughter began slowly with the "Family Gift," but it began to accelerate when she hit the teens.

She may have had previous experiences which were discounted, or maybe not even realized. Please discuss this with her openly. I would ask her to decribe what made her conclude this was a ghost. There must have been something about the experience which led to this conclusion.

Allowing her to review the experience in a safe environment and with family who believe in her may bring out more specifics. It can also help alleviate her fears, which could be quite varied after something like this. She could fear that particular spot, as well as the woods in general. She could also fear she is going crazy and maybe be ridiculed for the experience. Having been through something similar with my daughter, I would suggest supporting her and definitely investigating the experience, as suggested in the previous posts. Through discussing this, she may be able to reveal some clues which will assist in your investigation.
Good luck and keep us updated.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
L
Shark
Shark
L
well I don't think you have to be religious per se to explain about soul/spirit. Ghosts are like energy signatures. I would say that many people believe that your spirit lives on after the physical body dies and sometimes it sticks around where it used to live as a physical human because it is still emotionally attached somehow. Then I might ask her what she thinks the circumstances might be for the one she saw. Maybe it used to live on that piece of land or maybe it appeared to her because it was someone who knew her -like a deceased relative. If she felt it was not friendly ask her why? Maybe she was trespassing! The best way to combat fear is to get to know what you are afraid of. Then you know what your options are in dealing with it.
Ravyn

Last edited by LadyLvsNyt; 08/02/08 04:17 PM.

Se non potete resistere al calore, allora esca dalla MIA cucina.
LadyLvsNyt
S
SWK Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
S
Wow, great suggestions! We really want to value what she said, so we've made sure to avoid any ridicule or anything like that. She's not one who makes things up--and anyway, this seems too odd and specific to make up or to imagine. We have had casual conversations with her in the past about spirits of our deceased relatives or deceased pets "watching over us," so I think she feels comfortable talking about it. I guess the guardian angel comment didn't go over too well because what 13-year-old wants a guy in a purple lawn chair as a guardian angel! (Might be kind of fun, though . . .) Anyway, we will continue to keep the communication lines open with her. I like the questions that some of you suggested we use as discussion openings. Thanks again for all of your ideas!

SWK
R
Parakeet
Parakeet
R
I agree with ancientcelticwoman - it would be a good idea to investigate the area a little more for a possible spirit in the area.

If nothing turns up in the spirit area - perhaps a visit to the local police would help. Who knows - maybe other people have seen and reported the same thing. If it is not a ghost - the police should be informed of what/whom your stepdaughter saw.

Robin Rounds Whittemore, Fragrance Editor
Fragrance Website
Fragrance Forum

Moderated by  Deena - Paranormal Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.