Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#442538 08/10/08 12:48 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I have posted an article titled Why do I quilt? Here's the link:BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
Sponsored Post Advertisement
R
R
I love this question; I, too, get asked this a lot by non-quilters. I think I can honestly say 'yes' to every one of your reasons to quilt. Mostly, it does take me away to a place free from the everyday stresses and worries where I can channel my creative desires into something that, hopefully, will be around for the next hundred years. The bonus that comes from being in that place is I now have a legacy to leave behind that will allow future generations to know a part of me.

Amoeba
Amoeba
You both answered for me. But one more thing. I felt as a very young girl that I had no artistic abilities at all. Yet as far back as I can remember I wanted to learn how to quilt. Years later I learned and I do feel now I have something to contribute in the artistic world, something I always wanted. I have only been quilting now for four years but love every aspect of it. I have bought patterns, and downloaded free ones, but to date have done my own thing designing and everything, nothing spectacular but I was happy with the results. Oh, I am wrong, except for a couple of mystery quilts that of course I did not design, but loved doing. (hey maybe we can do one here someday?). I find it just so incredible how we can cut up a bunch of fabric and make it turn into something wonderful. I get such a feeling of acomplishment, and like Red Granny said, future generations will know a part of me.

Donna Rae
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
You have really started me thinking with this one. I don't think I have a passion, and certainly not an obsession. I can and have gone years without quilting. I am sewing something constantly, but mostly it's not a quilt. In fact, I have a quilt on my quilting frame that has been there for more than 5 years. I have only kept one wall hanging, the rest of my creations have been raffles, etc., so I don't know why I quilt. Right now I am making 6 quilts at the same time. They're are 6 identical sampler quilts for which I make 6 blocks of one pattern every few months. As each grandchild graduates from high school, I will assemble a quilt as a gift - so I am thinking of the legacy. I think my biggest joy may in collecting the patterns and fabric. For now I'm making quilt tops, and I'll hand quilt them together and then, for a time, I'll turn my attention to another craft.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Gecko
Gecko
There's just something about that wonderful "puff" of the pieces in a nicely quilted block, but the main reason that I enjoyed quilting was the ladies that I quilted with. The youngest quilter there before I started was in her early 60s with the average age of mid 70s to early 80s! It was like a living history lesson. The stories they shared were heartbreaking at times and there were some that made me laugh till I thought my ribs were going to break. I had to stop quilting a while ago, and I really miss it. I have a quilt top ready to go when I see my chance to start again.

Jan fromBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

P
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
P
I just love to see something wonderful take shape from little scraps of material. It is awesome.

I have fun and I can change things to suit me and my style and my tastes. I am typically a non-traditional quilter and I love to try new and different things.

I also lead quite a busy lifestyle at the moment. Quilting is one of those things that you can put down and pick up at a later date and begin where you left off. It is not essential that you finish it straight away and I like that.

Besides, it relaxes me and keeps me sane and I need that most of all. Thanks for your article.

W
W
I decided to start quilting about 2 months after I finished my first round of chemo for lung cancer. I had left work and thought it would be a wonderful idea to make quilts for all my kids, and the grandkids. Yes, something on the order of the movie, STEPMOM. It's been 2 years since I finished that chemo, and I am still making quilts! I still have cancer, but don't think about it as much...since I spend so much time sewing, and creating ideas for new quilts.
I've always loved sewing, but had only made apparel. I am thoroughly enjoying quilting! I find it so much easier to make one of those, as opposed to making a dress suit. And I love working with all the COLOR!! It is what I consider a therapy for my disease...and leaving something for family and friends - a piece of me once I've gone...so to speak. OH, and I always personalize the label on the back.
I have found that this craft keeps my mind busy, and is productive as well!! It helps to keep my attitude positive!
Thanks for indulging my ramblings...but this is the first blog I have ever posted to!

D
D
Judie,
I love your emptying of the mind article about why you quilt. So many of the reasons bring ourselves to mind. I am a scrap quilter. I cannot throw away a piece of fabric larger than two inches square. It hurts my soul. I guess the reason I quilt is because I remember my great aunt, my aunt, my grandmother, and yes, my brother (older by five years) sitting around the quilt frame laughing and having a good old time. They made scrap quilts out of feedsacks and apron and dress leftovers. That was a long time ago and they are all gone now but I still quilt away. I remember the neighbor ladies coming over to put in some stitches. My aunt would take them all out when they left. I guess they weren't up to her standards. I tend to piece and quilt on my machine. Once in a great while I hear the call of the quilt frame and I make a hand quilted item. I have decided there are too many quilts and too little time. If you look in my stash you will see the impressions these people left on me. I believe I have every 1930's reproduction fabric on the market. But I love every bit of it and all other fabric I can get. LOL

Regards,
June in the Southern California (Colorado) desert.

L
L
I love to quilt. Mostly it makes me smile. I love to create quilts. Sometimes I can spend days checking out my fabric stashes and racing through all the possibilities. I hate following directions. I change my design many times over. I also crochet and knit and with them I never make the same thing twice - I just have to change something. Quilting lends it's self quite nicely to that. I just make sure I have enough fabric to cover my meanderings. And so far everyone loves my meanderings!

S
S
i started quilting about 9 years ago, i had just quit smoking and i needed something to do with my hands.now people keep asking for quilts ,so i keep making them

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.