logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
htlach Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hello everyone. My story started a few weeks ago. I had missed my period and took my first hpt. I had an extremely light positive result. I decided to take another hpt about a week later.. still a very light positive result. I heard the test should come out brighter and clearer as hcg should double every couple of days, so I waited almost another week before taking my 3rd hpt.. still a faint positive. By this time, I knew I had to get a blood test done. I did have really bad nausea & some constipation & diarrhea, but within the past week, the symptoms have stopped almost completely.

I went in on Mon. Aug. 4th to a clinic because I currently don't have health insurance. I explained to the nurse why I was there.. that I had 3 very faint positive hpts, and was worried. She had me take a urine test there which once again gave a weak positive (I could've told her that!). Then they decided to do an ultrasound. By my lmp I should've been 8wks6days. By the size of the fetus, they had me at exactly 8wks.. so.. so far so good I thought. But they never detected a fetal heartbeat.

They then drew blood to test my hcg level. I didn't get my result back until today (Thurs. Aug. 7th). I was told I'd have to come in to speak with the dr., but I said I'd prefer not to & asked if something was wrong. She put me on hold for a long time then came back and said my hcg level was very low (2000 range?) and that the dr. wanted me to come in today to do another beta hcg test? to see if the level is decreasing.

I'm going in to get the second blood test, but I'm wondering if I need to go elsewhere. First off, is it normal to wait 2-3 days to get hcg results back? Does everyone wait that long? Secondly, this dr. already told me last time I was there that if my hcg is really low it probably means I'm about to miscarry & I need to be prepared for it, esp. if my nurse didn't hear a heartbeat? He said if the number is decreasing & they do another ultrasound with no heartbeat, that I should consider a d&c as it is much less traumatizing he said.

I don't know what to think.. I know 2000 seems low for over 8 weeks, but development wise the baby seemed like we were on track. Also, I'm still confused as to why the urine test was so faint when my hcg was nearly 2000? I was also told that my pregnancy symptoms suddenly vanishing is also a very bad sign.. I have had slight cramps here & there, but I thought they were normal in any preg. I haven't had any spotting or passed any blood at all..

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is it uncommon for them not to detect a fetal heartbeat right away at 8 weeks? Or could it have just been the technician's fault? Also, if worst happens, and I lose or lost the baby.. should I just let it miscarry & pass naturally?? To me that seems like the better option, but I've read lots of horror stories about how painful and horrible miscarriage can be.. I don't want to see the baby passing from me.

I apologize for the long post.. I just don't know what to do. I feel lost & alone. I was trying to keep the preg. a surprise from my husband until I knew everything was okay (this will be our very first). But now I just don't want to scare him (he's had a really rough year, lost his mother recently & lately his work is extremely stressful), but I think I have to tell him today. I don't want to stress him out further, but I need his support right now..

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Don't sugar-coat anything, I just need some honest opinions.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Hi htlach,

Don't lose heart, yet.

I remember with my 2nd child they did a couple of HCG tests - and according to the tables I had looked at, the numbers were low - so I freaked out. Also, the 2nd one they took was lower than the first. So I called my OB hysterical.

He actually called me back personally and said to me, "This is one reason I hate the internet so much..." Apparently there are certain times during developement when there are dips in HCG levels just before they go through a major increase again (kind of like when kids will not eat anything right before a growth spurt - and then eat you out of house and home.)

So they really need to do 2 HCG levels for comparison and in relation to everything else that is going on.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
People have lost morning sickness before... some people vomit once, then never again. Don't need to be sick to have a healthy pregnancy!

Moderated by  Christine - Miscarriage 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.