Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
We have a large deep freezer in the basement and when I buy our bread, hot dog and hamburger buns I put them all in the freezer right away after buying them because they don't get used right away. I've become an adept to knowing just how many seconds to heat bread and rolls in the microwave so that they are soft, but not soggy. It is sort of a science. But if you leave buns in the freezer too long and try to nuke them they do tend to become rocks. So fresh is always best.

But my downstairs food shelving units and deep freeze have helped us tremendously in buying things that are on sale in bulk and storing them. I tend not to use coupons but look for "in store" sales of the week and usually get the better deals that way. For example, I won't buy my coffee until the store runs a two for $9 sale on them and then I pick up a couple. That's how I do most of my shopping. I almost always get the Store Brand, which is the cheapest.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
When we go out to eat, we go someplace that has large servings and we share.

Last night we went to a fancy Italian Restaurant and We split three ways the "Chicken trio". It comes with a Salad, that is huge, and we ordered a bowl of soup, and each got a drink. I had a sangria. They give free bread, we got two orders.The bill was only 28 dollars.

Oh yea, we went during the busy time, and when it's busy and there is a wait they bring out free food to taste. smile

If we each ordered it would have been three times that, but we even left food and we were all stuffed and we didn't even want dessert.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

S
Shark
Shark
S
When we eat out we don't order a drink just have the water. I order
something which I usually can't finish and eat the rest for lunch the next day.

S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Doggie bags are always a request when we eat out, and it's not for the dog. Especially a big pasta meal.

Stephanie - We took my parent to an expensive restaurant for my Dad's 70th Birthday and told them they should share the vegetable dish because it was enough to serve 2-3 people (because it's a la carte). They looked at us weird like we were trying to save money on the bill until they saw the vegetables dish - it was huge! They asked for a doggie bag for the veggies and their meat.

Straycat - I almost always just have water with my meal as well. Drinks add up your bill really fast.

S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
When someone says they are coming over and it turns into a dinner date, I don't let my husband talk me into taking people out to a restaurant, but insist on staying at home and doing the cooking myself at home. You can really save a lot of money, especially the bigger party it is. I start by chilling a bottle of wine from our wine rack. I can make a big wok full of stir fry, make a lasagna or broil some chicken and throw together a tossed salad. When everyone goes out to a restaurant the big thing that kills the cost is the 20% gratuity tip on a large table bill - yikes!

Last edited by DebCreativeEditor; 10/19/08 11:30 PM.
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
We eat out as little as possible and if we do, we go to a buffet. Spending money on the gas and then the food is just a bit too much now. At home, if we have leftover vegetables, I freeze them in a large plastic container. I keep adding to this until it is full then I make a soup or stew and use these vegetables. My family loves homemade soups and stews and the soup starter mixes are inexpensive.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
S
Shark
Shark
S
It's just me and my husband so I use our toaster oven a lot.
It saves on utilities, but when I do use the oven I make several things so we get our moneys worth.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jana - Creativity Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.