Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#437183 07/21/08 12:17 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I am new to the motorcycling world I purchased a new 650 Silverado back in March. Took a two day training course and have still not ridden it. The training that was so helpful also made me somewhat fearful. I am looking at buying a tow pac to put on the bike to help with balance issues while I learn the maneuvers fo shifting, ect. and become more comfortable. I am looking for input from others regarding this. Any information will be helpful.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
Definitely get on your bike in a safe area and practice first. Riding a bigger bike is a lot different than riding the small 250 cc bikes that the classes often use.

Otherwise, just riding will help you get over a lot of that. I was a bit tentative after taking the course too, but after puttering around my neighborhood for awhile, I was ready to move on...

#437301 07/21/08 09:23 PM
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I second puttering around the neighborhood until you get familiar and comfortable with the bike, and then you can venture farther, but stay off the interstate for a while ;-).

March was a long time ago and you've probably forgotten a lot of what you learned so go slow, but don't wait until you've forgotten it all! That bike is begging to be ridden! Ride around the block a lot, in the middle of the morning when traffic is lightest. If you balance all right on a bicycle you should do fine on the mcycle, the key is to be moving ahead. You might want to just practise shifting from first to second and then stopping, downshifting and doing it over again. Baby steps, until you feel ready to go up one more gear. If it takes you a long time, so what? The main thing is to get out there and get on that beautiful new bike.

C
C
Got a high school nearby? They have nice large open parking lots that aren't in use for a couple of weeks yet.

P
P
Good motorcycle riding gear is not just for the fanatics or the pros. It is quite simply, in my opinion what separates the smart riders from the wannabe amateurs! If you want to ride like a pro, dress like a pro. Your gear may be the only thing that separates you from the tar at 100 miles an hour - buying good protective gear is an investment but in terms of what it could cost you - well you do the maths!

peterson
Aquarium supplies

P
OP Offline
P
I agree good gear is essential. But is there anything out there that provides the protection of leather but would be cooler in these Arkansas summers?

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
There are jackets made of mesh with insert pads of some sort of super protective material, a friend of mine in Alabama wears one, but obviously I don't or I'd know more about it. I DO wear a lightweight jacket that probably wouldn't do much if I hit the pavement, but at least it keeps the bugs off.You might check the various motorcycle gear catalogs, I've used Shadetree.

J
J
I agree best gear is necessity. Definite get on your bike in a safety area and practice first. I am new to the motorcycling world I buy a new 850cc blockade back in may.

F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
Originally Posted By: poisonivy
I agree good gear is essential. But is there anything out there that provides the protection of leather but would be cooler in these Arkansas summers?

There is a site that I visit a lot: LeatherUp.com. Despite the name, they don't just sell leather products. But they have a few styles of jackets you might want to check out. Some of them are perforated material that lets air through. They have really great prices. I haven't bought much there yet, but what I have bought has been good stuff.

#438929 07/28/08 12:24 PM
M
M
"don't dress to ride, dress to fall" I am not sure who said that, but do paid attention to what you wear. protective gear is essential to keep you in one piece if(when) you fall.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.