logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#438526 07/26/08 03:24 PM
M
OP Offline
M
It seems that cats love orchids. And it seems to be a common problem with them eating them. So, although there isn't a spray to keep them away (wouldn't that be convenient) there are things you can do to stop your cat from eating your orchids or other plants.

You can usually find sweetgrass at your local garden center in 2" or 4" pots. Cats find this yummy and it will distract them from eating your orchids.

Another option is to put a small amount of cayenne pepper around the plants. Note that this can only be done for a short amount of time like 4-5 days to discourage your cat. After that it should be washed away otherwise it could be harmful to the plant.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

----------------------------------------------------------

How to Grow the Most Breathtakingly Beautiful Orchids

Malika Harricharan, Birding Editor
Birding Website
Birding Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
N
You will only have to do this (maybe) twice...keep a sprayer full of water close at hand, set on 'stream' - when the kitty starts to molest a plant, a blast of water in the face, seemingly from nowhere, turns them off pretty quickly. My cats would never, ever touch a potted plant!
Wish this worked with iguanas - they like it.
Regards - Nancy

O
O
I have heard that you can put clove oil on a q-tip head and just bury it just below the plant soil and it should deter your cats. I have been telling epole this for years. I read it in a 'Hints from Heloise' book.

Happy Growing!

Lee Rowell
Orchid Express & Leasing
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Koala
Koala
We put mothballs outside in my rose beds to keep our dogs out, but I never had any problems with my indoor plants. You might but some mothballs in a ziplock baggie and poke a few holes in it and put that in your plant.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I don't have orchids (how I wish I could grow them!) but I do have 40-50 other houseplants and 2 indoor cats. I found that the guys are satisfied with a generous pinch of dried catnip every few days; that seems to fill their need for munching on something green.
But it doesn't stop them from playing with the more dangly plants, like the spider plant, so I have to curl the "spiders" up to keep them out of the cats' reach.

Moderated by  Anu D - Orchids 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.