Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#438334 07/25/08 04:53 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hey, I just posted a Genealogy Quiz. Try it out and come post and let us know how you did.

Would you like for me to do more quizzes? I'll try to do more in the future. Does not matter what grade you get. It is what you learned while taking the quiz that counts.

Here is the link: Genealogy Quiz

Good Luck!

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Geez guess im not to bright, only got 4 right ;o(

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Ok.. So far we have had 6 people take the genealogy quiz...I'm out of town but as soon as I get home and settled I'll be posting more quizzes...It's not how many you get right or wrong, it is if you learned something when taking the test! If you learned something new, share it with us here on the forum...

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Dear Editor, I'm a newbie to the Bella world. I'm logged-in at the quilting forum and this page says I'm logged-in. I can type here and now, but for some reason the Genealogy Quiz will not acknowledge that I am logged-in and will not let me re-log-in. Are other people being blocked out (that would explain why only 6 people have taken the quiz) or am I doing something horribly wrong? I thought I could go from one forum category to another. I have tried this several time in the past couple of weeks.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Looks like I got it figured out, and I WAS doing someting terribly wrong. Then I managed a 100% on the quiz. Some days the mind works and some days it doesn't.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Grannyh, welcome to Bella. I've been working on my genealogy a long time. What about you? Where are your lines located? My maternal lines are in the South, VA, NC, SC, TN, GA, AL and my paternal line is from Italy and NY.

G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Thank You, Angie. My father's family came here from England just a few years after the Mayflower. The family traveled in a straight line from MA to SD with a stop only in OH. Then we spread thoughout the US. That genealogy was printed about 100 years ago. A few years ago I updated it the old-fashioned way and republished it. My mother's family came here from Germany just a few generations ago. A cousin of hers has (and keeps updated) all those records, but has never published them. My interest now is my husband's family. He is 100 percent a group called "Germans from Russia". He was the second generation to be born in the US. I have done what I could 'manually'. Now I need to learn the Internet search methods.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Have you checked Genealogy.com?
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Yes, Angie. It would have been the same people. Most left voluntarily in the late 1800's. (In this family 1898 and 1901 to be exact.) The majority who didn't leave were killed during WWI when their villages were leveled. I have the names of the villages - both the German names and the Russian names when they rebuilt the villages. I haven't done any internet investigation, so appreciate any and all suggestions. I also have the names of the relatives who did not leave and those who went to South America. I expect to get very interesting results.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Yes, during the emigration time, many went to SA as the quota did not permit them to come to the US. My GF's brothers and nephew went to Argentina. I was in touch with one of the nephew's descendants a few years back but lost touch when the email address changed.

G
Zebra
Zebra
G
So, Angie, now that we've discussed my concerns, tell me about your search. How far back, and how far to the side have you researched? Have you had any difficulties getting information from other countries? And have you published or do you intend to do that? My brain is still of the generation that things need to be in a book. What is done, now, to put all this information in one place? (You'd think I was 90 years old. I'm not.) It certainly has been interesting 'talking' with you. Thank you.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Grannyh, my mother's line has always intrigued me. I have accumulated a lot of information on the Kirksey family. My earliest record is Orange Co. 1755. They lived in Chatham Co., NC and moved on into SC, GA, AL, TN.

An affiliated line, Dickson/Dixon, lived in VA in the 1740s and moved into Caswell/Person/Orange Counties before moving into GA.

The Philmon/Filmon family may have come from PA prior to the Rev. War. After the War, the family settled in Robeson/Duplin/Anson Counties before moving into GA.

My father's father came from Reggio D' Calabria, Italy in 1903 and his mother came from Alberobello (not sure when). They met in NY and were married in 1906.

There you have it.

Last edited by Angie; 08/17/08 04:52 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi all. My laptop has been in the shop and I have tried to sneak a peek at my emails when my 15 year old is not on his desktop. It's been great reading your comments. If there is anything I can do to help in your research, feel free to ask. I have ancestry.com and will do lookups if you need it.

Hopefully, I'll get my laptop back today, and I can get back to the site on a more regular basis.

Tina

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
G
G
Whoo Hoo! I got a 100% on the test. Now if I could only be that sure my tree is accurate. There is lots of scandal in my family in 1900 and earlier!

Last edited by GoodEnough; 09/19/08 09:46 AM.
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Scandal sometimes makes finding your family history easier. There is a book call Georgia Black Book: Morbid, Macabre and Disgusting Records of Genealogical Value filled with stuff that is helpful! So, you never know what is out there. The quiet, never bothered anyone folks are the most difficult to find.

I know this quiz was posted last year...but I am new to the bella site, which I love by the way. I scored 9 out 10. Not too bad. I got the primary source wrong. Nice quiz. Are there more?

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi Fellow Searcher. So glad you are visiting the forum. This was my first attempt at doing the quizzes, and I'll try to do some new ones. Hard to believe it was a year ago I posted it but probably so. LOL You are inspiring me to go make some more up. Maybe I'll do some in different areas, like records, war, journals, etc. I am doing midterms right, will graduate at begiinning of May, and hope to be more devoted forum moderator... AGain, I am so glad you are visiting. We have a great group of researchers here, some post, some read, but I am thankful for you all.

Tina

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
Thanks Tina. Good luck with the midterms. I know how overwhelming that can be. I started college a few years ago, and being a single mom, working full time and attempting college courses was no picknick. But totally worth it. :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GtownmaGenealogy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.