logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
State: Nevada

About 5 months ago I went to see a dentist and I had a dental insurance at that time. They recommended 2 fillings and a crown and I was told that I am going to have to pay 330.80 $ out of my pocket at the end of that visit and that is all (I signed a paper for that amount)

As I was looking at the print out with the information regarding my account (after a phonecall from their collection department) they have made a mistake because my dental plan was not covering crowns so they denied a payment of 287$. When I paid that 330.80 it was 50% of that crown - 287$ plus some little additional charges.

I understand that dental treatment is not cheap, however I do not feel responsible for that payment because if I would be told that it is going to be more than 600$ out of my pocket I just would not do that and probably wait for a year (there is a waiting period of 12 months on that policy I have and then they pay 50%)

What do you think I should do. Is it a good idea to write a letter requesting a validation of that debt asking them for any kind of proof that I agreed too pay, which in fact they do not have, etc... What would be the bst thing to do in that situation?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
I think it important to highlight that you were misinformed. You proceeded with the work on the understanding that the work would be covered, and that subsequent information coming to light is not your responsibility.

Either that, or get Judge Judy to wham them....

B
Koala
Koala
B
That is a tough call because as a policy holder you should be aware of what your insurance plan covers and not rely on the Dentist's office to tell you what is covered.

I would look over all the forms you signed and what the dental plan states. If services were rendered I am not sure you have to sign something to agree to pay.

I hardly use Dental insurance anymore since I have dentures, but I had to see a second Dentist before they would pay for a new set.

I get notices all the time from California's Medi-Cal, which is what my kids have and the Denti-Cal and they change the plan often. Now you can only get one cleaning and exam per year.

Did you call your plan to get the cost for your out of pocket payment or rely on the Dentist office to tell you?

I would suggest knowing your own policy since the office personnel deal with many plans and could get confused with yours.

Try to set up a payment plan since this does affect your credit report. Use your income tax refund to pay it off.

I had problems with a Dentist years ago and they called every Saturday morning asking where the money was. It was a hassle and something I paid off.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
B
Shark
Shark
B
Good advice Bonnie. There are literally thousands of dental and medical plans and it is virtually impossible for a dental/medical office to know the details for each individual policy. And with the continual decline in insurance reimbursements it is inconceivable for a practice to hire someone with the sole duty of checking coverage for each patient.

The dental office really should not have spoken with such certainty because it was misleading. However, the policyholder must accept responsibility for knowing their coverage.

Kay
E
E
Post deleted by BellaAutismHost

[url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.
F
F

Yes!! Nice information that you have shared with us.
Thank you very much

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
T
T
Hello, I certainly agree with you. Thank you very much for sharing your information. It was really very helpful for me.

Moderated by  Insurance Guru 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.