Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#402323 04/03/08 03:03 PM
raleigh Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
So I was wondering how other felt about this product?
I have read reviews at Flicks for Kids for several of the videos. It even broke it down by how the baby might benefit from the video depending on their age in months.

There seem to be alot of videos with different topics and the reviews seem pretty positive.. Any real life experiences that agree?

It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success. - David Feherty
Sponsored Post Advertisement
raleigh #402602 04/04/08 10:48 AM
Gecko
Gecko
Hi Raleigh

I have 3 year old twin nephews and they are addicted to Baby Einstean videos and cd's. I have watched with them and I think the attraction is that they are simple and don't require long periods of attention for the kids to learn something. In my opinion, they are one of those "Why didn't I think of that" kind of things.

B
Amoeba
Amoeba
B
I read that these videos may not actually be as beneficial as we think... kids' brains really can't handle the constantly changing stimuli provided by television at a young age, and should wait to watch tv until at least age 5. This is just what I've heard lately.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
I have a bunch of them and only show the Animal ones.

They're videos - I don't think there is anything beneficial about them - from an educational perspective.

Check out the book <i>Einstein Never Used Flashcards</i>. It's a very interesting book that explains some of these studies in depth and shows how media/marketing has used parts of studies to say what they want.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
I have a bunch of them and only show the Animal ones.

They're videos - I don't think there is anything beneficial about them - from an educational perspective.

Check out the book Einstein Never Used Flashcards. It's a very interesting book that explains some of these studies in depth and shows how media/marketing has used parts of studies to say what they want.

I think you can find studies/books/information to support whatever it is you want to believe. I happen to agree with the authors of the above book. smile

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
For my part, I think Baby Einstein is mostly trash. We have several of them because we had a friend who worked for disney who sent them when I was pregnant with my first. I certainly would never think that they are providing any actual educational value for a child. But TV is somewhat inevitable unless you just don't have one at all, and in my book it's a big step higher than sticking them in front of it and turning on cartoons or commercial TV. There are times when you just need them to sit still, and I think BE is just fine. I don't like that they have the play over and over option though.

To be honest though, if you are buying DVDs for that purpose, I'd much more highly recommend Signing Time -- even for older kids -- my 5 1/2 year old is learning a second language through them. And if your PBS station shows them, you can tivo or record them for free! I'll write a signing article soon as well, but in the meantime, here's the one I wrote in the breastfeeding site -- it applies for more than just breastfeeding mamas! Signing with your breastfed baby

I'll do an article soon on kids and TV with some of my thoughts on that topic as well. Too many things to write about! smile

Nicki

Nicki Heskin, Breastfeeding and Early Childhood Editor
Breastfeeding Site - Breastfeeding Forum
Early Childhood Site - Early Childhood Forum

Moderated by  Nicki - BF & EC Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.