logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gecko
Gecko
American Airlines is going to charge $25 for the first check bag too.

Sharon Michaels
�Empowering and mentoring women to greater personal and professional success.�

Abundance and Wealth Editor and
Self Development Editor

The Abundance and Wealth Site
The Most Recent Abundance and Wealth Featured Article

Sharon's Power To Succeed Blog

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
The airlines are being hit extremely hard with the cost of fuel. You could say that they need to develop more efficient planes, but all that takes time, money, and engineering. In the meantime, they need to deal with the state of the economy as it is.

Many people are business travelers, and tend to take essentials only - they need to travel as lightly as possible. On the other hand, families going on vacation do, as Jase has said, bring along everything except the kitchen sink. If the airlines spread the cost by increasing the cost of tickets, it penalizes those traveling lightly. Many business travelers are already paying increased prices for "Business Class" seats. It seems fair to charge for each bag, and to begin limiting the size and weight of carry-ons.

The heavier the plane, the greater the amount of fuel necessary to reach the appointed destination. Just consider it a way of "forcing" people to be environmentally aware of how much they are taking from the earth by their materialistic dependence on their "stuff."

If you really think about what you "need", you may find that you have less hassle upon arrival as well. Trips should be a bit of an adventure anyhow, and your children will learn that sometimes "less is more."

Carolyn, Beer & Brewing Editor
The Beer Fox

Beer and Brewing Website
Beer & Brewing Forums

Gecko
Gecko
Oh, I had heard $15 for the first bag. I'm going to check on the size retrictions for carry on bags. I'm flying on Delta to Fort Lauderdale in June. I am going to bring 1 check-in as well. I am hoping to not need the check in on the way back home. I'm planning on loading up the check-in bag with things to leave at my fiance's home. LOL

C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C

One way to lighten your luggage load: ship some of your clothes and gear ahead of time to your destination via UPS or other such services. Many hotels or condos will store your items for a few days prior to your arrival. Of course, be sure this is okay with your destination hotel and consider if the charges for shipping --and maybe storage--are less than the cost of paying for that first or second checked piece of luggage.
Older travelers and families with young children have found that shipping items ahead, even if it costs a bit more than checking the luggage, makes it much easier to travel.

Families with young kids, can ask the resort to stock their room with diapers and other needed items. Sometimes the only fee is for the products.

What strategies work for you?

Best,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
Award-winning travel journalist
Follow her at familyitrips
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C
I am still angry about the extra fees for checking bags. airlines should figure out a beter way to handle this than always charging the consumer.
Flying somewhere is no longer a luxury. It's a necessity and not just for business travelers. Many individuals and families imply don't have the time to drive to places.
What fuels my anger --pun intended--is that I feel helpless. I have no recourse. For many destinations, there simply is no other option for me than an airplane.
Any suggestions?

Best,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C
I just came back from South Africa and Namibia--wonderful trip--but South African Airlines was very strict about carry-ons and the weight of checked luggage.

Just one carry-on was allowed and it was tough. I had to cram my laptop, two cameras, three lenses and all my batteries into a carry-on as well as my personal items for a 17-hour flight.
I found my expanding carry-on bag to be essential. Glad I brought it along.
What tips have you found useful?
Best,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Didnt Naomi Campbell just get arrested/charged for assaulting verbally a stewardess over her lost hand luggage at Heathrow Airport in London?

Luggage Rage lol!

My tip is to get the biggest laptop bag that will squeeze through the gauge and then put all the other in-flight essentials/valuables in too!

C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C
That's a good tip. I did that and SAA check-in people said that my carry-on bag was too heavy. I protested and protested. The magic word was "laptop." As soon as I said I had a computer in it, they let me go through.

I am all for increased security, but I don't think the one bag has much to do with this. I think it's a way to lighten loads, save on fuel and charge consumers for luggage that formerly was free.
It takes much patience to fly now.

Best,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
We're going to be flying later this summer. Flying was at one time enjoyable but not anymore. Having to get to the airport early, having to go through the various stages of security, now the baggage issues, it is an ordeal. Plus that, the food is awful even on longer flights and service is scant.

I think I read somewhere that 900 pilots were being let go on one of the airlines. Gad Zeus, the flights are so overcrowded now but the cost of flying is so high, what can the airlines do? A friend just returned from Europe and they were in a queue of 42 planes. Idling is a waste of fuel also.

C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C

The rules for checked baggage seem to be constantly changing.
In today's travel section in the Washington Post (check it out online) there is a handy chart about airline checked luggage fees and charges.

Best,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.