Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#436309 07/17/08 09:10 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
My son has cat allergies so I just washed both cats (for the first time in a LONG time).

I put on thick socks, jeans, a thick sweatshirt with a zip-up front and gardening gloves. Then I filled the bathtub up partway with tepid water.

I fed the cats lots of yummy pouch food and let them settle down to sleep.

Cat #1 - Hamlet, 18 pounds. I carried him in and he was fine until he touched the water. Then he wanted to climb up on my shoulders and started yowling. Luckily he only has back claws. I was able to scoop / splash water on him in large gobs, then squiggle the cat shampoo on him. Then I splashed a lot of water on him to rinse it off. He alternated between trying to climb and just staying still, and lots of yowling. I talked soothingly the entire time, held him firmly, and now a half hour later he is back snuggling with us and apparently over it. It's hot out so he might actually be happy.

Cat #2 - Juliet, 8 pounds, fully clawed. I was now soaking wet so I had my son bring Julie into the bathroom which I suppose foils the whole point of having him not touch the cats until they were cleaner. I didn't plan this out properly. In any case, Julie was not thinking about going onto my shoulders. She was simply thinking about escape. Her claws went right through my thick sweatshirt and I ended up with a variety of scratches on my front, but I talked quietly and calmly to her while I doused her. She also yowled continually while either trying to squiggle to freedom or sit gathering strength. Once she was released she sprinted off to hide somewhere and has not yet emerged.

So the whole thing was done in maybe 10 minutes, and both cats are at least clean for now. We'll see how it helps!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
i bathe my cats about once every month or two. In the springtime or early summer (depending on the heat) I also lion cut them. it helps get rid of the rest of their winter fur and they seem a lot happier. It DOES help with the allergies for me so it's worth hearing them yell a bit. Some of the cats are used to it (the two 7 year olds who eventually just give in and enjoy the nice warm water). The tomcat is a pain in the arse. The kitten has only been washed once. I should be shaving them soon which will be an experience and a half ;0)

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
C
Amoeba
Amoeba
C
I seem to recall seeing something resembling baby wipes for cats. It's a moist cloth that you just rub in their fur. They think they're getting a massage. You don't end up bleeding. Ask at the chain store for pets.

Rev. Jaclin Meade Scott
Bereavement Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
This thread reminds me of the funny one I put up:
How to Give a Cat a Pill

I like the baby wipes idea - need to check into those.

We haven't bathed our cats in a couple of years now. blush

They are completely indoors, so we don't have to worry about fleas and such - but ione does have pretty bad dander, and I know it would help. But this is the 18 pounder with all of her claws - she's only been bathed once when she was a kitten. I can pretty well predict a bloodbath (pun intended) the first time we try to dunk her.

The little one is just fast and she can jump. She's also very intelligent - I swear she can read our minds sometimes. We even look at her with the word "bath" in our heads - and she's gone.

Our little old lady is just pitiful and makes me feel like a worldclass heel for putting her through it.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
A few years ago we had a really bad flea season and our indoor cats needed to be bathed. One of my sons helped because one of the cats was his. When we got to the sweetest one of all, a HUGE Maine Coon Cat he flipped out and dug one of his back claws into the back of my hand. When he pulled away the cut was so deep that my son could hear my skin pop! Unfortunately the cat is no longer alive, but the scar on my hand reminds me of him, so I'm kind of glad he gave it to me. I know it sounds weird, but it feels to me like he marked me permanently as his own.... R.I.P. Demon

Elephant
Elephant
they do make bathing bags for cats to protect you from their claws. All my cats besides the kitten are declawed so it's a tad easier ;0)

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
L
Shark
Shark
L
you know those mesh bags you use to wash panthose in? they work great for smaller cats--put the cat in the bag and tighten it around their neck like a collar and you can wash right thru it. It is not impossible for them to get away but it greatly hinders them. Do not ever leave them alone in one, they could drown.

Se non potete resistere al calore, allora esca dalla MIA cucina.
LadyLvsNyt
L
Shark
Shark
L
great minds Jase! (I invented the cat bathing bag BTW--years and years ago--just never got it patented! LOL)

Se non potete resistere al calore, allora esca dalla MIA cucina.
LadyLvsNyt
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I just rewashed both cats. I thought they'd be used to it now and be more docile. Instead they knew what was coming and began to panic long before Bob got them to the bathtub.

I wore TWO layers on top this time and thank goodness I did! Hammy tried to claw through my chest and if I didn't have the two thick layers on I think he would have opened me up seriously. Julie's tiny claws went right through my jeans this time, in little pinpricks.

Bob thinks this is the last washing for the year. He hadn't seen the previous washing to see how traumatic it was on the kitties smile

James is typically fine with the cats - I think it's the combination of cats and heat that's gotten to him recently. Hopefully with two washings in a month the cats will be OK until September, when James goes back to college.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Lisa,

My husband just sent me this e-mail, I thought I would share it with you:

This was simply too much of a time saver not to share it with you . It really works!!

1. Put both lids of the toilet up.
And add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo to the water in the bowl.

2. Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

3. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close the lid.
You may need to stand on the lid.

4. The cat will self agitate and make ample suds.
Never mind the noises that come from the toilet, the cat is actually enjoying this.

5. Flush the toilet three or four times.
This provides a 'power-wash' and rinse'.

6. Have someone open the front door of your home.
Be sure that there are no people between the bathroom and the front door.

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift the lid.

8. The cat will rocket out of the toilet, streak through the bathroom,
And run outside where he will dry himself off.

9. Both the commode and the cat will be sparkling clean

Sincerely,

The Dog

Last edited by Spirituality&SFFMoviesEd; 01/15/09 01:53 PM.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Melissa-Catholicism/Cats 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.