Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
A
We have a local Tai Kwan Do studio that offers beginning classes for 4 year olds. I wondered if anyone had experience with beginning their children this young and what they thought. We observed one class and it was a lot "games" that focused on postures, obediance, taking turns, and physical fitness - not as "strict" as a formal class for older children.

My son is VERY interested - he's 3.5 and his older uncle is 10 years old and has his orange belt. So it seems very cool and fun to him.

I don't want to push him into something he won't enjoy but if he wants to try it out I want him to enjoy himself. Thought I'd get some ideas from those with a bit more experience.

Blessings, Angela <><

Angela England
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Zebra
Zebra
C
Hi Angela and welcome!

It really depends on the instructor and how they teach. My children all started Tae Kwon Do when they were about 8 years old and it was a fairly strict class. Even at 8 years I don't think that they actually get what they are learning and not for a long time. They go through the motions but it doesn't even sink in until around the age of 16 and then it all comes together. But it takes all of those years to get to that point. It is a long process that can't be rushed.

A beginning class for his age sounds great as long as it's fun and no pressure.

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
C
Shark
Shark
C
Hi Angela,

We have a lot of students that start young in the schools I've belonged to. As Cloe mentioned, it does depend upon the teachers and the student. I would personally say go for it if he sounds interested. It is a lot of "fun and games" or so it appears on the surface but he's learning a lot of valuable lessons. And even if he doesn't continue, he will carry some of those lessons throughout his life without realizing it.

As perspective, I started my daughter on some simple stuff at the age of 2. She still does some of it with me but she's been more into dance lately so I slowed down.

- Sifu Caroline
Martial Arts
A
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
A
Caroline - My daughter is also two and mimics whatever her big brother does. She likes to do flips and things too.

Thanks for the input - he wants to do it. My husband feels like it would be a good thing for him and when we observed the class it was very upbeat and well-run which I appreciated.

Blessings, Angela <><

Angela England
C
Shark
Shark
C
Good luck! I'd love to hear how it's going as he gets into the class. Feel free to post away or if you run into any snags let us know. =)

- Sifu Caroline
Martial Arts

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.