Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Does your Guild or group use the incredible talents of their own members or be more inclined to contract interstate or international tutors and guest speakers for their Guilds or Groups. What do you think, should we concentrate only on the "high end" of the talents in the quilt world. Do you think our home grown members can offer something to your guild or group?

Let's hear your comments:

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
Sponsored Post Advertisement
P
P
My guild has awesome talent. I am new to quilting and they're more than willing to guide me and offer their expertise.
We had a meeting this evening, and one of our members demonstrated Machine Trapunto quilting techniques. We have several members that do demonstrations. However, we will have a guest speaker from time to time. We also have a quilt show in the fall, and this year, we are not going to have a big name tutor come to teach. We will use local and very talented people to hold classes.
Happy Quilting,
Pieceworker

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi Pieceworker. Welcome to the Quilting Forum. Sounds like you've got a very good balance between accessing outside tutors and using your precious expertise within your group. I think having this kind of balance, encourages respect for our home grown talented quilters and in turn gives them permission to share their vast knowledge with their quilting friends.

Judie Bellingham

S
S
HI, I am involved in a group which has about 50 members, a smaller group with about 8 members and I am on the committee for our regional guild. At a group level we continually support local resources. However at the regional guild level we need to feed our resources as they also deserve the opportunity to be stimulated. Due to our geographical location international teachers are not easy to come by and can prove to be incredibly expensive, but we then work with the other regions and share the costs and the poor teacher get shunted around the whole country. I am a strong beleiver that if the opportunity presents itself to expose your members to international teachers/ quilters then do it if the funds are available.

P
P
I have such great respect for our guild members. We are always encouraging new members to join. I've learned a lot at the meetings. Our guild has sleepovers to work on projects of our own, or take a class on a simple project. They're quite fun.
Recently, I came across a "Quilt Bingo" template for a game to play at the meetings, but there were no instructions or rules on how to play. Any suggestions? We're trying to get away from so much business at the meetings, and have a lot of fun.
Thanks, Peiceworker.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi Pieceworker, how lovely to have you join us on the forum. Thanks for your comments, it sounds like a fun and valuable group to belong to. Your question about Quilt Bingo has sent me on a journey and in the next few weeks I hope to bring to the website a series of games and ideas for jazzing up the group meetings. You always need to deal with business, but it's fun to have a bit of balance. Stay tuned, but in the meantime, keep your fingers busy.

Judie Bellingham

P
P
I'm having a blast with our group. Right now, I'm working omn a challenge block. the object is to make a star block with the focus fabric and two of our own from our stash. The star has to have 20 different pieces, but Ohio stars would be too easy. I haven't quite decided on what I'm going to just yet, but it's fun trying to be creative.
Happy piecing, Pieceworker

blushI would love to learn how to quilt. i said if i ever get extra funds, this is what i am doing with it, SO just a few questions now to get me started . Is it smarter with a machine or also by hand? and would anyone happen to know where in troy ohio close i could go to join a very lol beginner group.
thanks for all the help everyone
sablelulu smile

sablelulu

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.