Print Thread
#432684 07/04/08 12:36 AM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
This was an interesting DVD. I started with the yoga a few months back but haven't experienced Kundalini at all.

Apparently, if this DVD is indicative of typical Kundalini practice, the form is all about breathing fast and repeating a movement over and over for about five minutes at a time.

Overall, the workout is physically exhausting, even though there are no actual 'yoga'-type poses. The routine is, you mostly sit there moving your arms and breathing in and out very fast. Or moving your legs and breathing fast for five minutes. Or sitting still and breathing really fast for five minutes. I was dripping sweat, but barely moving.

The whole routine was rather like tightly controlled aerobics more than anything else. With really involved chanting. smile

There were many meditations interspersed between the moves, which I found different than I was used to - I am used to the savasana being at the end. This is a completely different kind of yoga.

It's possible that this kind of yoga is extremely satisfying to some people, but I don't think this is the kind I would do again. At least not at this time - maybe my tastes will move into that direction later in my practice.

I think the chanting parts would be better if the words were left on the screen more than a moment. It was very hard to remember what I was supposed to be saying.

The AM and PM sections were pretty similar in my estimation. I really have no idea what made either one a morning or night-time set. Each part is about a half hour, but one can do the whole disc in 90 minutes (including the intro, breathing instruction, warm-up and meditations).

The menu offers a choice of playing the entire DVD or pieces at a time. There is a brief intro to the various breathing techniques (slow breathing and Breath of Fire) and an short warm-up to the AM or PM parts.

Instructor Ana Brett sits on a small round white rug in a white room. It's kind of neat that you can't see the walls - it looks like she is on a magic carpet floating in an ethereal plane. She has her eyes closed during most of the routine and we only hear her voice during the introduction to breathing and during the chanting/singing.

We don't see the other instructor, Ravi Singh, at all but hear his voice during the routines. His voice is low and soothing. During each set, he talks about how the poses are helping different organs and bodily systems.

Although this style of yoga is not to my preference, I did get a fantastic workout and know my core will be sore tomorrow.

Overall, the DVD is probably not for people seeking a typical yoga experience. It might be very well-done as far as Kundalini goes, but it's so not what I was expecting during my beginner's yogic learning curve.

Last edited by Jilly; 07/04/08 01:14 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Very interesting! It's fascinating to hear about the different types of yoga out there! I think I'm with you, this wouldn't be an ideal style for me smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
It was pretty...different (trying not to move my bracelet!). I am not saying I won't become interested in Kundalini at some point, but for now it's really not what I am seeking.

Ana and Brett have tons of fanatical followers, so maybe it's just this DVD as an introduction to the form that throws me off so.

I have considered trying one of Ana's other DVDs, the Dance the Chakras one. It looks like a fun shake your body thing.

I am looking for it in my library system but don't see it. Maybe I can request it - I've never done that but i assume there is some kind of system. I will ask.

J
Koala
Koala
J
I hadn't tried Kundalini yoga but I had wanted to learn more about it from something I read. I thought it was to open up the chakras but not sure I'd like it tho from the way you describe it.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I think if someone is really into incorporating chanting into their yoga then they would like this DVD.

And apparently the chakras are opened by doing a repetitive movement until exhaustion while breathing fast?

My ignorance is showing. smile

M
Shark
Shark
M
I have this DVD, as well as their yoga for weight loss one as well. I agree with you, although I appreciated learning a bit more about kundalini yoga and giving it a try, I resonate more with some of the other types of hatha yoga. It's wonderful that yoga has so many styles so everyone can find what works for them.

Martha McKinnon

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.