Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
I am truly bothered by the issue of used medicine bottles.
1. They are heavy duty plastic - and no recycling information is provided.
2. Personal information is on the label - making discarding in the garbage problematical
3. I have yet to find a legitimate (i.e. one I can justify!) craft use for the darned things!

WHAT do you do with your bottles? Any ideas? Comments? Suggestions?

Laura Strathman Hulka - Senior Issues Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Zebra
Zebra
C
I would call the pharmacy and ask them what you should do. Maybe they can even dispose of them for you.

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I take the label off my empty bottles and destroy them. I wash and use the bottles to keep sewing needles or tacks in. If I just have too many bottles, I take them back to the pharmacy and they discard them.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I use them for spices (at home for loose spices purchased, and also smaller amounts for travel spice kits).

Also travel kits for bathroom/health items. You can stuff a lot of cotton balls in them, and the longer ones are great for q-tips. Good for traveling with vitamins and OTC meds without having to bring the whole big jar along.

I also use them for travel sizes of lotion and many other toiletries like sunscreen, aloe vera, toothpaste, Vaseline. Those lids are SOLID!

Good for office supplies for traveling as well - paper clips, staples, pins and tacks, pencil leads, a sewing kit.

I also try to get my meds in 90 day supplies instead of monthly, which saves on a lot of bottle waste.

Anything left over I do this - I clean them and remove the labels, place them in a quart ziplock bag and then, with a sharpie, I write on the bag - For Crafts. Then i drop them off at Goodwill. I do the same with wine corks, BTW. Crafty people can find all kinds of uses for such things. smile

Last edited by Jilly; 06/26/08 04:41 PM.
L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
I just switched to Sam's Club three month program - many drugs now available at $10 for a 90 day supply! So yeah, that does cut down on waste. Craft and cosmetic use is great too - I do some jewelry making, and that will be handy. Thanks for the ideas!

BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.
L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
Here are some online resources of ideas of where/how to recycle plastic medicine bottles:

I created a tutorial for whipup.net for using these as storage. [url=http://kundhicreative.com/lincolnblog/?p=565]Link here.[/url]

Last edited by jkundhi; 03/26/09 10:05 AM.
I use them for beads and needles.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Shark
Shark
They work pretty good for storing coins depending on the size of the bottles. I think coins store better in them than in coin wrappers.

Moderated by  Pam - Senior Issues 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.