logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#429387 06/23/08 07:39 AM
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Would or have you taken separate vacations from your spouse?

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C
Yes, certainly. I think it's a good idea if you have separate interests.
With like-minded girlfirends I've gone to yoga retreats and antiquing in the country. Both of these vacations would bore my husband and make him cranky. No point in that. He's gone on golf vacations with our son. I am not interested in golf.
I think separate vacations only become problematic when one spouse wants to use the trip to "find" other people.
Best,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
Award-winning travel journalist
Follow her at familyitrips
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Ahem, I must admit my trip to London was 'solo' except for the kids of course LOL - I am not interested in getting trampled in pop concerts, being deafened by Radiohead or watching cars and motorbikes squelch past in the rain for hours!

Culture Vulture, Foodie or Yoga retreats are much more up my street too - not to much those longed-for writer holidays in sun-washed Tuscany - ahhhh.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
2 years ago my daughter and I went to New Jersey for a week to "visit our memories" which DH doesn't share to the same extent. When we lived in NJ he would come to MO for a week to visit his family. Those kinds of vacations we've done separately, but I can't imagine going to a resort or traveling abroad, etc. without him. It wouldn't be as much fun for me without him.

E
Koala
Koala
E
We haven't yet, but I would like to do the occasional separate holiday. We don't holiday in the same way - I like to relax and curl up with a book on the beach; he likes to hire a car and travel the length and breadth of the place. I dislike spending my entire holiday in a car. He makes a schedule and we have to push on to each destination at a certain time. So he won't stop when I say, "Hey, that place looks interesting." or even stop for a photograph. This last holiday I ended up taking several hundred photos through the car window, because we were just missing so much of the scenery.

I'm disorganised, so he takes charge of everything, which is really sweet. But it does make me feel unnecessary, especially when he then asks me if there's anything I want to do, but then it doesn't fit into the schedule after all. I wanted to go horseriding and kayaking in New Zealand, but in all of the four weeks of our holiday there was no time to do that.

When we have kids, I'll send them all off camping or something, and I'll stay home and read my book!

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
elle #429610 06/23/08 06:07 PM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
That's so funny lol - its my situation exactly!

My favourite holiday is getting to be sunny days in the garden lol - a lot less stress than a whistletop tour of every type of highway tarmac!

C
C
I don't think it's a problem. I have to go away every summer's end to get prepared for the school year. (I homeschool several children, different stages and needs, plus I have a special needs child) Sometimes I take my oldest or my mom, and we vary in what we go and where we go. These days I am surprised anyone can take huge vacations! I don't think it's wrong to do separate things.
The last time we went to Florida on dh's company's nickel, the only thing he stayed awake for was the Kennedy Space center. 3 bloody times. Oh, and you bet we had to get up well before dawn to see the shuttle launch, cuz HE had always wanted to see that. (pre 9/11 when you still could do that) Heaven forbid we wanted beach time or Sea World. That was our last vacation together. Too stressfull on me and the kids that were too young to care.

Orthodox homeschooling mom to 7, one with Rett Syndrome

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.