Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#429298 06/22/08 10:08 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Hi everyone,
My name is Gertie. I am new to crocheting and I found this forum when I was searching for help with a pattern. I was wondering if someone would be willing to answer a question for me. I just want to say before I ask that I am not lazy or stupid. I know how online forums can be sometimes when you ask questions that seem very simple you get accused of being dumb or too lazy to figure it out on your own. However, I just want to state that I don't know anyone who crochets or knits personally and there are no classes or crocheting clubs/groups in my rural town where I could find help. Believe me I've looked so I am just flying blind here...trial and error.

With that said this is my question and I hope there are nice people here to help. I am only on the first row and I am stuck at the part where it says finish of:. The pattern says it is rated easy but the instructions at the end of the row don't seem clear to me.

Row 1 (Right side): Sc in second ch from hook and in next ch, * ch 4, skip next 2 chs, sc in next ch; repeat from * across; (I've done all that and here is where I am confused) finish off: 71 sc and 69 ch-4 sps.

If I am at the end of row 1 and wasn't told to turn my work where am I putting these 71 sc? Also does this mean 71 sc PLUS 69 sc? If so why not say 140 sc? etc....?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
P
P
Hi Gertie!

Welcome to crocheting! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do (it relaxes me)!

I learned how to crochet in a similar way (so I understand a little how you feel). Someone taught me the basic sitches, then I taught myself how to read patterns. I used the internet a lot to ask for help with things I couldn't figure out.

Okay, let me see if I can help you. I'm guessing the instructions are telling you to "finish off" after the first row because you are going to change colors or something, but...

"71 sc and 69 ch-4 sps" means that at the end of that row, you should have 71 single crochets & 69 chain four spaces. That's how you'll know that you crocheted that row according to the pattern specifications...basically that you are on the right track.

What are you making?

G
OP Offline
G
Okay that makes sense. Well hopefully it'll be a throw when I'm done. (and I don't have 69 ch-4 sps) So I'm guessing I miscounted when I did the first ch. I am enjoying it when I can do it, I started crocheting for relaxation purposes. I just zone everything out around me and chill. I started out knitting which is fun and I'm still learning a lot about that as well, but crocheting seems to be faster and easier to get consistent looking pieces. My knitting always ends up a little squiggly looking. Maybe I'm just a really [censored] knitter though. Ha! Thanks so much BTW. You've really helped me a lot.

P
P
I'm glad I could help! I'd love to see a picture of it when you finish it. I think this is a safe place to ask questions. All my experiences on here have been pleasant thus far. So, continue to ask questions, that's how I learned and continue to learn. I've only been crocheting for 3 years, but if I can help, I will gladly!

Happy Crocheting!

Moderated by  Holly - Crochet Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.