Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
If my store gives us the option of paper or plastic, I take paper. We recycle our plastic bags as many ways as we can. We find uses galore, we used them for people who purchased more than one item at my garage sale, I also use them at our high school concession. When someone buys t-shirts, hoodies, and other spirit wear, I put their purchases in a plastic bag from my house.
And finally,and this is the best my daughter has started to make what is known as "plarn"! It is plastic strips cut from the plastic bags and then crocheted into tote bags, and purses, cool huh?
Thanks!
Mary Caliendo
tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
J
This is so great! Plarn sound wonderful and a great way to use the bags. She'll never run out of a supply. Or...maybe she will if we all switch to another type of bag besides plastic.

Jordan Mercedes
Business Owners
Repurpose WorkBusiness Owners Editor Bella Online
Forum Moderator
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
My youngest daughter is going to be 13, but already you can see that it is a new trend to recycle, reuse, and rethink. She is already very "green" and so are her little friends. I am a very pround mom.

P.S. If she finishes her tote bag, I'll have her post a pic. for all to see!

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Mary, the plarn idea is something i have heard of and find fascinating. the end results usually come out surprisingly cool. I want to hear more about it and see a pic if you can.

We keep our canvas bags in the car for shopping runs, so at least this way we won't forget them. We have bags from Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Goodwins (local market) and some string bags from (i think) the Real Goods catalogue.

When we end up with plastic bags, we use them as kitchen trash bag liners, dog poop bags (we keep those in the car for dog park days), and for running errands - stuff to return, stuff for the thrift store, books to resell, etc. We still have more than a human can use and am interested with the ideas I have seen of weaving the used bags into floor rugs and carry totes.

I don't throw away recyclables if at all possible. smile

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Here's a photo I found online of a plarn bag - inspiration!

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Tiger
Tiger
Jordan invited me to post a link to a lens I created on eco-bags. I'm actually featuring one of her bags this week.

We also have a great recycling program but if we can reduce the number of bags in circulation all the better. It's not just about the bags being recyclable it's about how the bags are made -- it requires a lot of oil.

Last edited by M o e; 06/20/08 01:52 AM.
J
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
J
I hope you can post a photo for us we'd love to see what your daughter has done!

Moe thanks for featuring the bag. You have a GREAT LENS!!! I saw wonderful bags that I can't wait to check out since you have more than just shopping bags. Thanks for visiting the forum and we look forward to seeing more of your bag features!

Last edited by JMBusinessOwners; 06/20/08 07:20 AM.

Jordan Mercedes
Business Owners
Repurpose WorkBusiness Owners Editor Bella Online
Forum Moderator
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Here in Holland I use my cloth bags for grocery shopping and even dept. stores. I roll one up and keep it in my purse. When they get stained they go into the washer.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
We have huge organic messenger bags that I use for groceries...we can fit 8 half gallon cartons of juice or milk, plus other stuff tucked in, into one of them. Just like Susan, I toss them into the wash when dirty.

As for plastic bags, we recycle them, use them in the bathroom trash cans, and we always need a 'business' bag for when we walk the dogs.

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

J
Koala
Koala
J
We just got back from a wedding where the bride gave every one Chico bags in their out of town gift bag. Chico bags are durable and are hooked to a tiny bag on a key chain so you can push the big bag into the smaller one and carry it on your purse or key chain. Really cool. I hadn't seen them before.

I've found some places where you can get them online for free shipping or 5 for the price of 4. The regular price is $5 but they're really handy.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  JMBusinessOwners 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.