Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#428148 06/18/08 06:31 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
The Apple Concept Day 18

"Those who think they can do it on their own end up obsessed with measuring their own moral muscle but never get around to exercising it in real life. Those who trust God's action in them find that God's Spirit is in them�living and breathing God! Obsession with self in these matters is a dead end; attention to God leads us out into the open, into a spacious, free life. Focusing on the self is the opposite of focusing on God. Anyone completely absorbed in self ignores God, ends up thinking more about self than God. That person ignores who God is and what he is doing. And God isn't pleased at being ignored." � Romans 8:5-8 (I chose to use The Message Bible.)

I learned the definition of "repentence" a long time ago. It doesn't mean giving up everything in life you like, changing from being a normal person to a saint, becoming a missionary, or walking the streets carrying a Bible and preaching to everyone.

Conversely, it means a complete turn-around. As though you were driving down a one-way street going the wrong way, and you make a U-turn and set yourself right.

First, though, you have to realize you're going the wrong way.

Like I said, it's not changing "who" you are; it's changing the way you're going. You're going down the wrong road.

"It takes changing your mind. It takes turning away from the lie and facing the truth instead." This is what today's devotional says to us.

What if some tricky kids changed the sign on the one-way street and you didn't realize it? Eventually, you'd see you were heading in the wrong direction, even without a sign. "The lie masks itself with clever words, but they all add up to the simple temptation to create worth for ourselves based upon believing we are worthless � or distracting from those feelings of worthlessness�"

Another indication that you're going the wrong way is paying attention to what your mind tells you. "... The lie since it is whispered to you every day, Everyone will laugh at me� People will know what I did� no one cares� what difference does it make� If I were prettier, smarter, funnier, thinner, stronger, wealthier, more educated�"

When you begin hearing those lies in your head, recognize the red flag waving in front of your eyes. God wouldn't be telling you stuff like that. He wants you to feel good about yourself and be proud of who you are in his kingdom, to live the purpose you were created for.

And so, the authors say, "These thoughts have one purpose: they derail you from living your intended life. The result of these thoughts is a life of fear, toil, frustration, judgment, sorrow, and missed opportunities. Living under these thoughts leaves you confused, discouraged, empty, bitter, and alone."

To change your life, you have to change your mind about what you believe. And that is true Repentence.

When my youngest son Jeff, who is cognitively impaired, was in elementary school, he had a special education teacher who believed in "redirecting" behavior. When the kids got wild, or disobedient, or off track, she say, "We need to redirect them." This meant, usually, giving them an alternative to what they were doing. A choice. Always a "better" choice.

Repentence is redirecting your thinking. Thinking something better, something with more chance of success, more hope.

For instance, if your brain says, "What if people found out about your mistakes," you could decide, "Maybe someone would learn from my mistakes." Or, "You've done it now. You can never undo this." What about, "God always forgives, and tomorrow is always a new start, a new day."

I like to think when I'm feeling down on myself, "I can change."

You may think, "What difference does it make?" Our devotional says, "My future may be effected by choices I make today, it makes a huge difference if I hurt my body with too much food, alcohol, drugs � hurt my finances with too much spending, wreck my relationships with infidelity� When we believe God created us with a purpose and with value, nothing can stop us from living."

I know it sounds too simple. I thought my son's special ed teacher was making it sound way too simple too. The big problem I had was remembering to use the simple technique. When Jeff acted out, I usually did what came naturally. Got angry. That just didn't work, and it took a long time to figure out that his teacher's simple plan actually did work... if I could just remember it.

So while, this principle of redirecting your thoughts, turning around and going the right way, is simple, it "takes active, thinking, living, action oriented, faith to execute."

The authors tell us we need to stop and ask ourselves, "Does this thought hold the threat of shrinking my life, debilitating me and leaving me reacting out of fear, guilt, flattery, or desperation? If the answer is yes � the lie is talking; turn away."

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: Bettyann - Christian Lit
it means a complete turn-around. As though you were driving down a one-way street going the wrong way, and you make a U-turn and set yourself right.

First, though, you have to realize you're going the wrong way.

Like I said, it's not changing "who" you are; it's changing the way you're going. You're going down the wrong road.

"It takes changing your mind. It takes turning away from the lie and facing the truth instead." This is what today's devotional says to us.

BettyAnn, I love this imagery!

And it is such simple advice, but it is so easy not to see it. We get used to doing things on our own. The world teaches us to be "self-reliant" and not to put our trust in anyone else, we have to do it oursleves. And that is so opposite from the relationship we are supposed to have with our Father.

Thank you for this thought today - I really needed it! laugh

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Thanks, Michelle. I needed it the same day too! Been out of pocket last few days, as everybody around me is sick in some way, and I'm being "nurse!" Son had cyst removed from head, dh is down with his back really bad. Even one of our dogs got sick and had to go to vet.

Just tryin' to stay cool! Thanks again for the post.

Moderated by  Lyn-Christian Lit 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.