logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting on here. I am a brand new quilter and I have only done small projects and I am about to start quilting my first quilt. My grandmother gave me today a quilt top pieced by my great grandmother probably 40 or 50 years ago. I would love to finish this quilt but i don't know what would be the best way to quilt this as far as a pattern goes. All I have done so far is the 1/4 quilting(is that what you call it, quilting 1/4 inch inside the border of each piece?). I know I could do that on it but I want it to be special all things considered. What looks best on a grandmother's flower garden quilt is my question. Just the quilting I mentioned above or can you do more elaborate patterns and it will look good? Any suggestions or pictures would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Carly

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi there Carly, I've been waiting for other quilters to reply to your question, as I've never actually hand quilted a Grandmothers Flower Garden Quilt. But my gut feeling, would be simply to continue doing what you're doing - quilting inside the border of each "petal". I think this genre of quilt generally speaking, lends itself to simple quilting, to allow the patternation and variety of fabrics to be admired in their full beauty. A busy quilting pattern might detract from the lovely work. How lucky you are to be given the opportunity to complete a quilt that was started with great intentions so long ago. Thank goodness the quilt was kept. We'd love to see a photo when you're finished. Happy quilting
Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
J
OP Offline
J
Hi Judie,

I appreciate your input and thank you for replying. I think that I will take your advice about the quilting. I hadn't thought about a busy pattern taking away from the quilt. I don't know when I will be finished because I am about to begin quilting a quilt for my husband and I will be making each of my children one next.
Carly

C
C
Yes,i would keep doing the 1/4 inch.I'm a paper Piecer on Carol Doaks Yahoo web sight.ConnieC

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi Connie, thanks for joining us on the forum. I'll have to look at the website you've mentioned. Paper Piecing is really coming back - or did it ever really go away?

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.