logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#232742 09/11/06 02:08 AM
P
P
I have a 'couson' 'twice' removed, so she says..well they live in Calif close to her daughter durnig the summer ( more about HER later) & durning the winter they live close to their son in Michigan. Well she inseted on showing us 'these pictures, she has 'millions' of them.
So shes showing us these pictures of 'Aunt Helen' taken in 19877 or something like that, but nothing is written on the pictures, except for a date on the side, from the developer...that says 1927?...Now she has had a stroke, how can I get this 'Couson' 'in a nice way' to write name & dates on these pictures. I know her Daughter will just 'toss' them when she dies, the son I don't know a thing about, if fact we didn't even know she had a son for over 2yrs.
If I get this woman to write any names & dates, how can I check if they are correct? I just hate to see all these pictures going in the trash. Any ideas on how I can ask her 'nicley' she gets upset essily, like when I pointed out the difference in dates. Thanks, Pegi [email]Spencer...yellmouth@adelphia.net[/email]

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Wow! I checked out the deadfred site and it looks promising. I have some old photos we cannot identify. thanks.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I recently went to a photoshop class as I know nothing about restoring photos. Was really good but still had questions. They are redoing the class in March and I will go back. It is amazing how they can take a horrific old picture and restore it to look almost new.

Anyone have any experience in restoring photos themselves? What program do you use? I usually call my daughter to do this, but have a goal to learn myself.

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
Amoeba
Amoeba
Lynn, It's TOO annoying to have a load of unidentified photos!

I also have two boxes worth of pictures, from the 19th and early 20th century. Some are annotated, some we know, but for the majority, we are clueless. The REALLY annoying thing is that when I was a small child, I was fascinated by these pictures, which were kept at my Grandma's house, and we used to go through them every Saturday afternoon, she could name almost everyone there. Sadly she's not here now and try as I might, I don't remember.

Last edited by Marianne -Russian Culture; 06/13/08 05:02 PM.

Marianne Gibson
Russian Culture
J
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
J
Thank you for the advice.

I too, do Geneology. I love looking at old pictures. When I go to an antique store, there are lots of pictures that are for sale. How sad that is that families get rid of them because they consider them junk. When my husband I used to go into antique stores, we often thought about buying some of those pictures and trying to find out who they were but we never did. It would've been interesting to find out who would want to see their ancestors and not knowing that someone in the family were getting rid of them.

Julie

Catifer #472021 11/29/08 04:25 PM
J
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
J
I too, have found a few distant cousins who were will to swap pictures, So much fun huh?

Julie

Julie Anne #472531 12/01/08 03:10 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Sometimes, not always, the pictures get picked up during the estate sell. An elderly couple or someone with no children dies and someone other than family just sell or give them away. I see them at the antique malls and I also wonder who they are.

Tina

It is sad...

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
W
W
Yes, old pictures are just the best. I especially love the old sepia ones that are so colorful even though black-and-white. They seem to give a flavor of a simpler time.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Yes, old photos have quite a bit of character. There was more to taking a photograph back then. Today, just click and go.

Lynn_B #490490 02/02/09 09:53 PM
Hi there, I am new to this site, but not geneology. I also inherited many old family photoes (350 pounds worth)! Many of them are unmarked, dated, or named. Some of them, quite interesting looking. To help me figure out who is who, for I had asked everyone I knew, to no avail...I went to many different message boards and started seeing who else was researching my family lines. I looked for distant cousins that were researching my indirect lines. I found several and so I sent them an e-mail, told them about my plight, and we ended up exchanging photoes. We found that many of the pictures matched one another, but the neat thing was, on some of my pictures, I had the info, and on others, they did. I now have cousins to help me not only with the pictures, but new found cousins/friends as well as new family stories!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GtownmaGenealogy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.