Next Thread
Print Thread
#426227 06/13/08 02:20 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
As I was putting together this week's article on Vitamin D, I got to thinking what my doctor would have said if I'd asked to have my level tested -- since it's not mainstream protocol yet. I was lucky (my doctor is a saint), and I'm sure he would have gone the extra mile to order any test to ease my concerns.

This isn't always the case. Many breast cancer patients feel they are being dismissed, ignored or patronized. Many are not fully informed of their options for reconstruction. Many feel rushed through the process without being given time to come to grips with their situation.

How was it for you? Is/was your doctor a saint? Did you feel like he or she was on your side -- that you were in this fight together? If not, did you change doctors? Was changing doctors out of the question because of your insurance?

Gail Armanini, Editor
Breast Cancer Site *** Breast Cancer Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
The doctor who did my biopsy and ultimately gave me the bad news was the proverbial "cold fish." He was curt and barely looked me in the eye.
So I went to my GP who is a doll and his father is a local surgeon and he sent me to his Dad who truly is a saint as well! He talked to me, showed me photos, he FORCED me to ask questions. And then he prayed with me. I am truly blessed.
When you're first diagnosed your life turns into a whirlwind. I was fortunate to have a terrific support system in my husband but to be honest with you--I completely put the situation into God's hands. Maybe it was my way of not wanting to cope with any decision making, I don't know.
What I do know is that if you're uncomfortable with a doctor--get outta there! Either you or someone you who loves you needs to get on the phone with the insurance company and find out what your options are. You need a doctor who will support you in your fight, not a "revolving-door" doctor!

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Sounds like your doctor is great and a huge support. My breast surgeon was like that as well -- totally supportive of my decisions all the way through, listened while I talked it out, trying to figure out what to do. It took a while to find the right plastic surgeon, but it was worth the time and effort. And keeping the faith, trying to always stay in a spiritual place helped me too.

Hang in there!

Gail Armanini, Editor
Breast Cancer Site *** Breast Cancer Forum

Moderated by  Gail A - AW&BC Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.