Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#424540 06/08/08 12:04 AM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
I am reading a book that states Runes are of Greek origin (this is in a fiction novel). Is that true? I thought Runes came originally from the Pagan rituals. Forgive me if I sound naive about this, but I am curious. I have in the past used the Runes for divination and still have them somewhere.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
E
Koala
Koala
E
According to Wikipedia the oldest known runic inscription was found in Denmark, while Sweden has the most runic inscriptions. Scandanavian scholars seem to think that the origins were Latin.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
elle #424596 06/08/08 10:54 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I think quite a few scholars would agree with you Elle that the divination aspect came later.

Phyllis, I've never heard of runes originating in Greece. What is the name of the novel? I suppose we can chalk it up to artistic license.

Last edited by TrishPaganEd; 06/08/08 11:14 AM.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
Trish-D #424786 06/09/08 03:54 AM
A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
About 40 miles from where I live is the Runestone Museum in Alexandria, Minnesota. That area is magik with the history of the those who at one time and a few who still use the Runes. Their accuracy in devination is astounding!

Trish-D #424834 06/09/08 12:36 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: TrishPaganEd
I think quite a few scholars would agree with you Elle that the divination aspect came later.

Phyllis, I've never heard of runes originating in Greece. What is the name of the novel? I suppose we can chalk it up to artistic license.

I sincerely apologize, Trish! I was trying to remember what the book mentioned and thought it was Greece - I went back and checked and it did say Scandinavian, as Elle mentions. Apparently the manner of lettering is like Viking etches in stone.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
#424838 06/09/08 12:42 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: ancientflaxman
About 40 miles from where I live is the Runestone Museum in Alexandria, Minnesota. That area is magik with the history of the those who at one time and a few who still use the Runes. Their accuracy in devination is astounding!

The accuracy in the divination is very profound at times - but, then each person will sometimes interpret based on what they want to know and their inner desires. One has to be very open and objective. I do not use them anymore, have not for years, but I remember they were very enlightening. I lost my book that came with them and there are different formats to follow in placing the runes and how to read them, similar to tarot.

Last edited by Phyllis, NatAmEd; 06/09/08 12:43 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: Phyllis, NatAmEd

I sincerely apologize, Trish! I was trying to remember what the book mentioned and thought it was Greece - I went back and checked and it did say Scandinavian, as Elle mentions. Apparently the manner of lettering is like Viking etches in stone.

LOL... No need to apologize Phyllis. I've done that with books too. My memory isn't what it used to be. I'm glad it sparked discussion any way.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
Trish-D #424856 06/09/08 03:51 PM
OP Offline
Thanks, Trish. Have you ever used the Runes or other oracle for divination?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I have used Ralph Blum's book and set, but it is very Christian oriented. That isn't bad, it just isn't what I want to learn from. I plan on getting Diana Paxson's book "Taking up the Runes" to learn and to review for the site.

I like the Ogham, a system based on the ancient Irish alphabet. I've been using "Celtic Wisdom Sticks" by Caitlin Matthews, but recently purchased a book by Erynn Rowan Laurie on the subject. I like to look at different interpretations as well as meditate with them and come up with my own.

To be honest, divination hasn't been my strong suit. I could see things about people during a massage or Reiki session though. The tools of divination I have used more for meditation and to learn truths about myself and spiritual concepts. But the Ogham seem to come to me more naturally than any other for divination which is why I want to learn more.

What about you? Do you have a favorite method of divination?

Last edited by TrishPaganEd; 06/10/08 09:10 AM.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
Trish-D #425148 06/10/08 10:49 AM
OP Offline
I do not use any divination tools anymore. Years ago, when I was searching for so many things in my life and inner knowledge, I used the Runes and the 'I Ching', both of which I found to be very enlightening. I reached a point in my life where mediatation and imaging/visions work better for me.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ninjahedgewych 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.