logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#424309 06/06/08 10:07 PM
S
OP Offline
S
It's whale shark season in Yucatan! Only on Isla Holbox, north of Cancun, can you snorkel with the biggest fish on the plant. Between 15-50 feet in length, it's fortunate they only eat plankton. Read more about this adventure here:BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Susan Stewart
Mexican Food
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C
That sounds like great fun. I've always wanted to do this.
what's it like?

Thanks,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
Award-winning travel journalist
Follow her at familyitrips
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

S
OP Offline
S
Personally, I haven't done it - but everyone I know here, has. I think I'd be terrified, even though they are gentle vegetarians! Look at the size of them!!!

Susan Stewart
Mexican Food
C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C
I'd be scared too, but I would like to do this. In Belize once I was snorkeling and I turned to my left and all I saw was a giant wall of white that was moving.
At first, I terrified and didn't know what had happened. Then I realized that a giant ray was swimming by me. I was scared but also exhilirated.
Best,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

M
Shark
Shark
M
I have been swimming with whale sharks and it was amazing! There are many places to do it other the Isla Holbox - I went to a place called Las Animas, in the Sea of Cortez, which is owned by Baja Air Adventures. You can also snorkel with sea lions there, and you'll see tons of dolphins too. We also saw black-tipped sharks and finned whales. I hope to go back this fall and do it again!

MaryEllen, Animal Life Editor
Animal Life Website
Animal Life Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I went swimming with rays in the Bahamas and it was one of the best times of my life. They are wild and hang out on a sand bar - you go there and hand feed them with squid. It was SO SO much fun. I would go back in a heartbeat. I was the first one off the boat smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C
Good for you!
I have always wanted to do this but am a bit scared.
What is it like? Are you in open water with them or protected in a cage?
What are the safety precautions? How did it make you feel?

Thanks,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C
Hi Lisa,
Where were you--in a park or in the open ocean? I've done both and I prefer the open opcean, although the giant ray frightened me when I was alongside him. It was thrilling too.
Best,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

M
Shark
Shark
M
Whale sharks only eat plankton, so there is no need to worry about safety - you just swim along beside them! They feed at the surface, so you don't need scuba, you can just snorkel. We went out on the boat to look for the whale sharks twice a day, in the mid-morning and in the late afternoon, and we were lucky enough to find them every single time we went looking. The island where the sea lions lived was on the way to the main place where we would see the whale sharks, so after swimming with them, if we had time, we'd stop on the way back and swim with the sea lions for a bit. On the way back from the afternoon swim, we'd fish from the boat so we could have fresh fish for dinner.

Las Animas is in the Sea of Cortez, near Bahia de Los Angeles, which is about midway down the Baja peninsula. It's very isolated - you have to fly in a private plane from San Diego, then take a boat, which is about an hour or so, to get to the place. It's got round platform tents and a central area for eating and socializing. There is no electricity except in the central area for a few hours a night.

I absolutely loved it! It wasn't uncomfortable at all, the food was amazing, and it was sooo peaceful. I was there by myself (which is kind of a bummer because when you are alone, you end up with no photos of yourself) and it was a very meditative, centering experience. Swimming with the whale sharks is awesome - in the literal sense of the word, it filled me with awe. The two that we saw mos often weren't the huge ones - the bigger one was maybe 30 feet long or so, the smaller one only about 10 feet. They are very slow-moving, and not afraid of people. At once point, I was just floating in the water face-down, watching the bigger one, and as it surfaced it brushed by my hands and let me run my hands all down its back as it came to the surface. Amazing.

At first I was worried about going, because I was afraid that it would be a situation where these animals would be trying to go about their business and we would be harassing them, but the way it worked was that when they were either done eating or simply didn't want to deal with people anymore, they would do a deep dive. As soon as they did that, we were done for that session and would get out of the water and leave. Since they are sharks, not whales, once they go down they don't have to come to the surface again until they feel like it. But they would hang around, basically ignoring us, for a long time - sometimes as much as an hour.

One of my best memories, though, isn't about the whale sharks at all! Because it was hot, I slept outside on the wooden porch of my tent instead of inside it. My tent was way up on a sort of bluff, facing the ocean, far away from the other tents, and every morning I'd wake up as the sun came up and just sort of lie there watching the water change colors as the sun rose, suspended in complete silence. One morning when I woke up and was watching the water, I heard this shushing noise, like a soft sighing, repeating every minute or so. I couldn't see it but I knew the sound... it was a blue whale, breathing. Lying there in the sunrise, listening to the whale, who was also lying at the surface of the ocean, maybe also watching the sunrise...? It was a magical moment.

Here are some photos: Swimming with Whale Sharks

MaryEllen, Animal Life Editor
Animal Life Website
Animal Life Forum
C
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
C
Hi MaryEllen,
Both your experiences with the whale sharks and with hearing the blue whale are really special.
Thanks so much.
Best,
Candyce

Candyce H. Stapen
Adventure Living Website
Adventure Living Forum
www.gfvac.com
www.familyitrips.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.