Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#423147 06/02/08 08:31 PM
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Are you happy? I do believe it's totally our own job to make ourselves happy. Nothing else makes sense to me. But, I also believe we sometimes need a bit of help, a small reminder, and sometimes, a complete redirection!

This article is about a great little book that can help you do all of that!

Read my review of
The Goddess of Happiness and share some of your favorite happiness tricks!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
i picked one of the chapters in The Goddess of Happiness to read today and wanted to share it with you all. It's called "Participate in your Life". The point is to stop saving things and use them.

This hits home with me because my grandmother saved everything. She had "good" towels stuck away in a drawer never used. As a child of the Depression, saving was deeply ingrained in her mind set. As a result of that mindset, she was never quite happy with what she had.

So, the point is to use and enjoy all the stuff of your life.

Today, I encourage you (and me, too) to:

* Use your good towels, eat on the good dishes, love your thighs enough to wear shorts when it's hotter than you-know-what, and do something every day to make your heart smile!

* Tell your friends and your kids how great they are, experience all the love & happiness you can.

* Take a risk on happiness.

Live your life big today. Tomorrow, rinse and repeat.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I agree totally. I follow the Flylady stuff, and she is always telling us to use our good things. To treat ourselves like the royalty we are. I remind myself all the time to USE my pretty things, my fancy things - that's what they are for. And that I am worth it. smile

Jilly #423307 06/03/08 03:04 PM
Jilly and Deb, make me smile.
Yous are always so upbeat,

Rosie L
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Oh, Rosie, Jilly and I can certainly keep you laughing! But, we don't wake up whistling every morning either. We just know that we have to make the best (and use the best) of what we've got.

Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Another Tip from "The Goddess of Happiness":

Get Physical (You know I love this one).

I have to say that I truly believe this is so important to being happy. Not just because I write weekly columns on walking, either! LOL

But, really, our bodies are made for moving. Not only does it firm up your muscles (including your heart!), but moving, exercising, cleanses your body, and it cleanses your mind. I do believe that walking (or whatever you choose to do) will make anyone feel better. All the research in the world supports it, but you know, I believe it because it works for me.

The author (Debbie Gisonni) relates the various types of physical activity she's done throughout the years, and she finally settled on tribal dancing as her "Thing". Now, that sounds like fun, doesn't it? She also bought a huge trampoline, which I wish I had. Next time I have a yard, I'm seriously thinking about getting one.

There are tons of ways to be physical. Many of us on this forum are newbies at yoga and loving it.

If you have children at home, how about playing "freeze tag" with your kids today? Or taking them bowling? Or going to a playground (I love to swing.)? Or showing them how to do the dances of your youth--whether that's the pony or the running man!

If you are alone, well, you can do anything to challenge and use your body. Hike, walk, run, climb stairs, walk your dog, plant a garden, clean your closets, paint your house.

Just move your body in ways that honor its ablities and test (just a little) its boundaries, and strengthen it!

Share your favorite ways to get physical. It's a great way for us to learn about new things!

J
J
When my mother-in-law passed away, we found so many things packed away that she had never used and we had never before seen. China, nick-nacs, a collection of needle work were all packed away for who knows how long or for what reason. It is sad to think that all those years of their marriage she could have enjoyed having those things out to be seen and enjoyed.

Use it or lose it is what I always say.

Jettagal
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
That's what it's about jettagal. I think we often do that same thing with our talents, too. We hide them or save them.

C
Zebra
Zebra
C
Deb, thanks for bringing this book to our attention. It has so many good points that we sometimes overlook. The idea of bringing joy into our lives is so important. Who really takes the time to have fun anymore? If we could take even just a few minutes a day to do something we really enjoy, I could see that expanding over time. The joy would spread to everyone around us!

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
You're welcome, Chloe! And, you are right, we forget to allot time for fun. I used to be terribly guilty of being a slave to my to-do list, but now I try to have fun and enjoy my life as much as possible. Believe it or not, the world has not come to an end! LOL--we take ourselves too seriously.

Now, I'm off to a birthday party for my 21-year-old baby. Nothing like your youngest child turning 21 to make you want to make more time for the good times.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Tell Kristen happy birthday! Too bad she can't have a drink to celebrate this one. wink

Jilly #423967 06/05/08 09:46 PM
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
No, it was my son's birthday--Chase turned 21 today. He's the baby. Kristen will be 25 on Aug. 2. She wanted a margarita, because work was stressful today, but she abstained. I had one, though. So did Chase. Yummy!

By the way, while we were in Washington, he and his girlfriend went to Gatlinburg & he proposed (Yes, too young, but he met her and fell instantly in love and followed her around for three or four years until she broke up with her boyfriend & they've been together ever since). The wedding is next spring sometime, after Lauren finishes college. And, a couple days before that, he made an offer to buy a house, which they moved into last week. So, yep, I'm a pretty proud Momma.

Also, Kylie Grace Davis is due to arrive on or around August 19, 2008 (that's Kristen and Curtis' first baby--my first grandchild--for those keeping a flow chart.) So, I'm all into buying baby girl stuff these days, too!

Last edited by BellaDeb; 06/05/08 09:47 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
yay for grandkids! i know you can't wait.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Happiness is a choice. You can choose to see your life as positive or negative.

J
J
I like to get together with my girlfriends for lunch and shopping or take a trip up to the city for antiquing or art galleries then a relaxing lunch. We also like to get beer and pizza and watch movies when our husband's are on business trips or out "with the boys".

Use it or lose it is what I always say.

Jettagal
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Jilly, you know I'm so excited! I bought her some pink hi-top tennis shoes already.

Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Carennedy, I agree happiness is a choice. I also know we have to constantly re-commit to the choice and keep finding and doing things that bring happiness to us.

And, Jettagal, girlfriends are so cool. My buds are so spread out now, but I'm gonna have to go the extra mile to set up something with some of them soon. There's a Warhol exhibit coming here soon--perfect opportunity!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Deb, too funny that you bought her things for walking! smile

Jilly #425239 06/10/08 04:13 PM
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Oh, yeah! LOL--I spent most of my life in athletic shoes, and didn't even think of that. I wore original Chuck Taylor Converse hi-tops my entire basketball career. Loved those shoes!

But, you know, both my kids walked quite young--at 8 and 9 months, respectively. So, I'm sure Kylie will have places to go early, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  CarlaCano-Walking Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.