Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
If you could throw complete caution to the wind, what would you do in your life that you haven't done yet? (Use your imagination!)

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
You know, I have been really toying with the idea of makeup artistry.

I got this crazy idea the other night to go take cosmetology classes (focused on makeup) and open a shop directed at teaching young girls how to do makeup.

Maybe do like birthday parties, one-on-one consults, special occasions like prom, etc.

What got me thinking about this was my cousin (who just started selling Avon) had a makeup party, and every gril there under 15 asked me to do their makeup - and they all loved it.

It is so different from anything I have ever contemplated.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
That's an incredibly unique unfulfilled creative passion, Michelle. I think you're onto something that has not been tapped into yet. Go for it!

S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
I would love to be Fashion Designer.

S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Would you move to a major "fashion" city like NY, Chicago or Paris or are you already in a large city? What type of clothing would you design? What designers do you admire? The idea is intriguing.

C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
There are lots of things I wish I could do but I don't actually have the talent for, but something I might be able to do: I would love to be involved in musicals, backstage somehow. Whether that is set design or props or something like that. Helping to create the magic that you get to see on stage. Plus, free showings of musicals smile

Christine Blachford
Formula 1 Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
High schools and community playhouses are always looking for volunteers to help with tht sort of thing.

You could do tht to get your "feet wet" and move up from there!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
J
Koala
Koala
J
I've actually more than fulfilled all my creative dreams except one-I've always wanted to get a book published. I even have a suspense novel half written. I keep allowing other things to push it to the back burner tho.

C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Originally Posted By: Michelle_Launch
High schools and community playhouses are always looking for volunteers to help with tht sort of thing.

I used to be part of an amateur dramatics group when I was younger. But I was on the stage, and looking at those off stage longingly. I imagine it's usually the other way round. smile

At the moment, I don't have time to even think about it really, but there is a local theatre just down the road from me, so I may have to pop in. smile

Christine Blachford
Formula 1 Editor
C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Originally Posted By: joanj
I've actually more than fulfilled all my creative dreams except one-I've always wanted to get a book published. I even have a suspense novel half written. I keep allowing other things to push it to the back burner tho.

Oooh, what's it about? I struggle to write fiction. I always start and then once I've got the opening scene out of the way, I get bored and want to get to the good stuff. I am okay at writing openings, and not so bad at endings, it's the important stuff in the middle I can't do!

Christine Blachford
Formula 1 Editor
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
joanj - That would be an amazing accomplishment to get a book published so keep whittling away at it each few paragraphs (or chapters if you can) at a time. It's important for you to set aside time just for you to create (write) each day or week. Hang the word "write" above your computer if it will help. If you bring this dream to the front burner it just might take on a new life of its own. Before you know it you will be sending out book proposals to publishers. Since you've accomplished so many other creative dreams, you seemed destined to fulfill this one too. Best of luck to you!

S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Christine - I agree with Michelle in that doing volunteer work at a local Acting Theatre may satisfy your thirst to do some behind-the-scenes stage work. Is there any chance you might get the acting itch some day again?

C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Nooo, I don't think so. I never really enjoyed it that much at the time, so I don't want to go back on the stage.

But I like the atmosphere of being behind the scenes, so it's definitely something I'll put on my to-do list.

Christine Blachford
Formula 1 Editor
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
What's your unfulfilled passions in general? They don't have to be creative? They can be anything that you dream of doing.

I grew up by a small airport and use to watch the skydivers, so for the longest time my dream was to jump out of a plane, until I found out later that I was afraid of heights. But I'm not afraid of water, so I would love to go scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef. That would be a dream come true!

I would like to take tango dance lessons.

I would also like to expand my art from the canvas to sculpture.

V
V
joanj - I'm wondering what might be in the way with this particular creative pursuit? Might it be tied in with a fear of some sort. I am a Kaizen-Muse Creativity Coach and work with creative people who get stuck...
v.kramernathan@gmail.com

S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
vickirina - You've really sparked my curiosity. What does a Kaizen-Muse Creativity Coach do exactly to help creative people get unstuck in the creative process? Sounds like the makings of a good article for the readers.

Deb,
I'd like to do beadwork and crochet AND not work at my "real" job!

LANA R. MIXON
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Lana - It doesn't sound like you're very happy at your "real job". I've been there. I hope you are using work breaks and lunch hours to at least do your crocheting. If your job makes you unhappy, I hope you can get out of it in the future. I know there's the reality of bills, but before my job effected my health, I was warned by a wise person that it would do just that if I didn't get out, but I didn't listen to him. To make a long story short, let's just say I'm living proof that a job can effect a person's health and well-being. I transformed myself and have fulfilled a lot of my creative passions in life since vacating my previous life. I know not everyone can "get out" but certainly there are always options to move into other avenues or different jobs/positions that might make you happier. If you can't get out totally, get creative in finding a new job or creative way to get through your day (which is an article I plan to write soon). Didn't mean to get long-winded on you, but your sentence deemed more attention than a little one-liner.

Last edited by DebCreativeEditor; 06/16/08 10:49 AM.
I suppose writing a novel would be an unfulfilled creative passion for me.

S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Would it be fiction or non-fiction? What kind of story? Do you have any ideas floating around in the back of your head at this time? That's awesome passion!

I'm not sure yet, I really would want to write a non-fiction one. I don't have any ideas yet, I need to keep a lookout. smile I have to set the mood, though. I have to retire in Monterrey, CA for inspiration--that place is beautiful. I remember passing by on a family trip and the place has always stayed with me. John Steinbeck lived in Central CA most of his life and wrote novels that centered around that area.

I meant to say say a fiction one. I want to write a fiction novel because it takes more creativity.

S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
If that's what you want, than that's what you should go for...no time like the present to start that first sentence of the first chapter. Once you get started you can always tuck it away and bring it back out and work on it on a rainy day or when you feel creatively inspired. If you whittle away at it when you have little chunks of time, before you know it, you will have a novel written. Go for it!

Last edited by DebCreativeEditor; 06/19/08 11:09 AM.
Shark
Shark
Another suggestion for Cynthia -

Get the background of your story out of your head and on paper (or on screen.) Write out the overall plot you imagine, the characters involved, the setting. Maybe do an outline if you can imagine what happens in different chapters.

Then... In November, join NANOWRIMO - and challenge yourself to flesh out your novel in one month. It's a challenging month, but it's full of support from fellow writers.

If this process suits you, you can take your book idea at a leisurely pace over the summer, then decide to really tackle it in November, when many other creatives are pounding the keys right along with you!

Best wishes,

Meg Meyer

S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Thanks very much for the suggestion on nanowrimo, Meg!

Last edited by DebCreativeEditor; 06/19/08 10:31 PM.
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
To be a photographer! I think I must've been more in love with the notion of being called a photographer, instead of just being one.

L
Shark
Shark
L
well I am a writer and I do write---so that is not really UNfulfilled....but I have always wanted to learn to weave or knit by machine. I just don't have the space available or the funds to get started. And no one to teach me.

Se non potete resistere al calore, allora esca dalla MIA cucina.
LadyLvsNyt
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Bea - Could you expand on your post? I'm interested in hearing more about what you mean...

S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Ravyn - What if you started off on a small scale doing small weavings. My mother does a new kind a weaving wear she gets a blank tapestry (blanket) at the needlepoint or craft store and then gets yard and weaves it into the large clothe back and forth until a design appears. You can pick any sort of colors and make up your own pattern and when you're done you have a beautiful throw blanket to put on a couch or chair. I hope to put up an article on this technique in the near future. It's just a thought. It's not that expensive, easy to learn and you wouldn't need the large scale weaving tables. It could start you out with weaving anyway.

L
Shark
Shark
L
sounds interesting Deb...

Se non potete resistere al calore, allora esca dalla MIA cucina.
LadyLvsNyt
K
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
K
I have always wanted an MFA in creative non-fiction. The only thing that holds me back is the cost. I will be paying for my MA for another 14 years, so spending more money on a degree that has nothing to do with my career just doesn't make sense.

But I dream about it!

A high school friend just went back to grad school for painting. I think it would be fantastic to have that outlet! I would also love to try painting but have no idea where to start.

Closer to my life goals, I want to publish a novel. I have written three books and many articles, but for some reason I don't think I will be a "real writer" until I get a novel published!!

Kim Kenney
MNK Editor
Museums Editor

Kim Kenney
BellaOnline Museums Editor
My Museum Ebooks

"Seek those who find your road agreeable, your personality and mind stimulating, your philosophy acceptable, and your experiences helpful. Let those who do not, seek their own kind." -Jean-Henri Fabre
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Would your novel be the non-fiction and if so, what are you thinking you would like to write about? What's your MA going to be in? Could you do a duo MA/MFA or does that get too expensive? I think as far as writing goes, since you obviously are an accomplished writer - having written 3 books - you just need to find the time to write that novel, not another degree. But that's just my humble opinion. Thanks for that great post, Kim. This question has sure sparked some interesting input. smile

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I want to first write a fiction of romantic love. I have had the story in my mind for years and it is coming out, forcing it's way into life - so I have to pay attention to that "unfulfilled passion" before anything. Then I want to write a non-fiction book on Native American ways and culture.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
It sounds like your romantic novel is about to spill over onto the laptop or paper now, Phyllis. I attended a writing workshop a few weekends ago and people there asked me how I divide up my time writing Bella articles then flipping into a different gear and writing in journals and working on personal stuff, like book chapters. The answer for me, is that when a creative flow hits me and I have a few moments to myself, I just grab the computer or paper and pen and start writing. The ideas may be incomplete, but I tuck them away and come back to them when the creative flow hits again and I have a chunk of time again. If writing a romantic novel is your passion, then you "will" make it happen some how, some way over time. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by DebCreativeEditor; 06/20/08 10:01 PM.
K
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
K
I already earned my MA back in 1999 in history museum studies (just still PAYING FOR IT now! Ha!). I am a museum curator today. And a writer "on the side." I wrote all three of my non-fiction books on nights and weekends. For all three, I submitted a proposal that was accepted, so then I had a deadline to work towards. Novels are different. I have to write it FIRST, and then find a publisher. So I have no real deadline other than one I impose on myself, but I find that it doesn't carry much weight that way!

The MFA I looked into was more to develop another kind of writing for myself -- I would love to do more freelance work, particularly with magazines, not only because I love it but because it would help me supplement the notoriously low museum salary! I hate reading my work in groups, etc, and I had hoped that the MFA could help me get over that, as well as allow me to work one on one with accomplished writers that could help me polish my own style.

My novel is fiction -- I have already written a few chapters. I know I have a great idea, I just have trouble finding the time to work on it. I have several hobbies, and with working full time, they all compete for my (limited) time!

I have also wanted to write a memoir, but wondered who the heck would care about my life. With the recent success of authors like Jen Lancaster, I know that it is the STORY that counts, not necessarily WHO it is about. So that is a project simmering on the back burner too.

I love to write, but find myself so tired at the end of the day, easier hobbies usually take precedence -- reading magazines, cross stitching, things that help my mind relax, not things that make it work harder! I crave a true "writer's life" but that is just not possible for me. I have to work, and so my time isn't my own 40+ hours a week.

I know I need to get serious about this, and stop TALKING about it and just DO IT. I'm just unsure how to get myself motivated, and more importantly, KEEP myself motivated.

Any suggestions from this group would be greatly appreciated!!

Kim

Married No Kids Editor
Museums Editor

Kim Kenney
BellaOnline Museums Editor
My Museum Ebooks

"Seek those who find your road agreeable, your personality and mind stimulating, your philosophy acceptable, and your experiences helpful. Let those who do not, seek their own kind." -Jean-Henri Fabre
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Wow Kim, I'm blown away by all your accomplishments! You must be very proud of yourself for all your achievements. You certainly are a go getter. You're an inspiration. You should post this on the Inspiration site as well. I thought about how you could keep yourself motivated in writing. I attended a writing workshop a couple of weekends ago by author Gail B. Balden. She inspired the group to both write in class and to continue to write outside of class.

We had 8 people in the class and we made such a strong connection that we formed a 'writing circle' outside of the class in order to motivate each other to continue to write on our own person stuff. We are suppose to have our first meeting mid July. We plan to meet bimonthly in town and then at various people's homes. So my suggestion is to get involved in writing seminars and to perhaps find other (in your case) professional writers to which you could form a writing circle and meet to critique and/or motivate each other to stay on track with your writing process. Just a suggestion.

N
N
I had an excellent idea for a book (would also of been an excellent movie) but I let years pass by before I tried writing it and I cannot find a way to start writing it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jana - Creativity Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.