Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#421932 05/28/08 04:33 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Got the book Sexy Girls: How Hot is Too Hot? ? from the library last week, which is actually a Christian book by Hayley DiMarco which deals with today's "skin is in" look.

From the back cover: "Let's get real. You wanna look good. If you're like most girls, you want the attention of the opposite sex. And unless you've been living under a rock, you know that looking sexy is supposedly key to being today's 'it' girl."

I've dealt with this issue as a church youth group leader and highschool Sunday school teacher. I remarked in class one Sunday that looking "sexy" can get you in trouble that you won't easily get out of. The girls, almost in unison, screamed, "No, Miss Betty, it's hot, not sexy!" When I asked them what the difference was between the two terms, none of what they said made sense.

Of course, they tried to tell me that looking "hot" wasn't to attract the guys' attention at all. Yeah, right. Like I wasn't ever a teenage girl.

I think this is a great discussion question. I'm interested in how others feel about the scantiness of girls' clothes. I've heard it's hard to buy clothes anymore for the younger set because all stores have is "hot." Somehow I doubt that, but I do think, if a girl wants to look good, it's hard to find the balance between too hot and just "sorta hot."

And what do the guys say about the girls, the way they dress?

How do you parents out there deal with this? My girls are grown now. When they were teenagers, this wasn't as much of an issue. All they ever wanted to wear was jeans and tee-shirts. I remember one time my oldest daughter wanted to buy a shirt that said, "I'm a B__ch," and I wouldn't let her.

I was a mini-skirt girl myself once upon a time, and I remember my father's view back then.

Is this something we shouldn't be worried about? Does it make any difference, as far as safety issues, whether a girl is dressed hot or otherwise? The sickos of the world seem to be grabbing little 2- and 3-year-old girls off the streets, and sometimes young boys, so maybe teenaged and young adult females aren't targeted anyway. Maybe it's a non-issue.

Just an interesting topic.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
I think it makes a difference. I personally do not have daughters, but if I did I certainly would not let them wear some ultra skimpy clothes that are fashion today. It sends a messeage that they are older than they look, and then some expect them to act older too. This can rob them of innocence.

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Exactly. There was a story in the book, where this guy says, I'm walking down the street, wearing my cop uniform, my cop shoes, carrying my cop gun, and this lady runs up to me screaming, "Help, Help, someone stole my purse." The guy says, "I can't help you." The lady says, "You're a cop. Of course you can help me." He says, "No, I'm not a cop. I just dress like one."

Made me wonder, you know. Thanks for the post. b.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
As a mom of a 10 yr old getting ready to enter middle school (and taller than most 15 yr olds) it is hard to find appropriate clothing for young girls these days.

(You can find many of my bemoaning posts in the "Daughters" section).

The majority of jeans made to fit her size are low waisted, hip hugger types, shirts are verys short - raise your arms and the tummy shows, etc. It is even hard to find her age appropriate shoes. She wanted to wear a little bit of a heel for Easter, but all I could find were what I dub "stripper pumps". (She wears the same size I do in shoes).

Luckily she is not at the age yet where she wants to "look hot" but I know we'll be there before too long. Right now she just wants to look pretty.

My husband is freaking out - he keeps joking about Catholic school - and we're Baptist!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Gee, now I feel guilty. I dress "hot" but that's because a) I'm 33, b) my husband likes it, and c) I'm very careful to avoid certain pitfalls like wearing two sizes smaller than I should which result in rolls of skin hanging out over the top of the pants.

My SD, on the other hand, is a very modest girl who prefers longer shirts and skirts and shorts.

Michelle, that's funny, I've noticed all the shirts are longer this year than in previous years. Maybe it's because I'm short, but I haven't found anything that's shorter than hip-length in tops. Short shorts, now, they stay the same. And low rise flares may be here to stay.

I found a nice line of summer clothes at Academy Sports; I call them my soccer mom clothes. 6-in inseams on shorts for $15, longer T-shirts for $8. I'm only frustrated that there's not one in NC. (It's in TX through SC in the Southeast.)

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: TrishInNC

Michelle, that's funny, I've noticed all the shirts are longer this year than in previous years.

My daughter is very tall. She stands 5'3" at just 10 yrs olds, and it's even between long legs and long torso. SO it may just be that finding shirts for her is more difficult. Because although she is that long, she is still terribly skinny, so she's right in between kid's clothing and Jr's.

Ah - the joys of growing adolescents! wink

Seriously. her pediatrician says she believes Jordan may hit 6' before she finishes growing. She grew just 3 inches this past year. Which caused a big problem with her cheer uniform, because it fit when we first ordered uniforms in June (so I didn't) and it didn't by our 1st competition in Feb!

Now that is an outfit I would love to redesign, it's very little. But pretty much all the competitive teams dress the same way, and she loves the coaches on this team, so I just keep her in her coverups until its time to perform.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Originally Posted By: TrishInNC
Michelle, that's funny, I've noticed all the shirts are longer this year than in previous years. Maybe it's because I'm short, but I haven't found anything that's shorter than hip-length in tops. Short shorts, now, they stay the same. And low rise flares may be here to stay.

It's too bad that now they are compensating for that by putting words on the "butts" of sweat pants and shorts that girls wear. There should be some kind of law against that.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: WrestlingEditorVance
[It's too bad that now they are compensating for that by putting words on the "butts" of sweat pants and shorts that girls wear. There should be some kind of law against that.

Now that I did have a *fight* with my cheerleading coaches about.

On the girls' practice uniforms they wanted to get black soffee shorts (pretty standard workout shorts for cheerleading) with EMPIRE (our team name) written on the butt. Admittedly this was more the girls' idea than our two *guy* coaches, but they were just going to go along.

I said I could understand the uniforms, but I did not want my daughter wearing anything that was going to draw attention to her butt, that was an inappropriate place for people to be looking. And the majority of people that would be looking there (on a 10 yr old) would be litte pre-teen boys and pedophiles.

They backed off on that one real quick.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Good for you, Michelle. One person CAN make a difference.

Last edited by WrestlingEditorVance; 05/29/08 10:16 AM.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Michelle, she is so adorable! Tall and thin. She could be a model for sure. b.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lyn-Christian Lit 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.