Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#420393 05/21/08 08:19 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I admit that while I will find time to do yoga, I really haven't found any time to meditate yet. I really haven't tried my new meditation cushion. While yoga has a "real" benefit in my mind - flexibility, better health - meditation is a lot harder to break away from my extremely busy work load to do.

Why do you meditate? What do you gain from meditation? If you're having trouble meditating, what is it you hope to gain, that you keep trying?

I definitely understand the stress relief and relaxation. But I get that now from yoga, so it's sort of like "multitasking". And I also have to add that it's hard for me even to find time for yoga, because I always put my work first. So it already feels like "cheating" to not get to urgent email messages and instead sit in front of a yoga DVD for a half hour.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I consider doing the savasana at the end of yoga to be my meditation. That's about all I can handle. If I can try to release my mind for 5 minutes i feel like i have accomplished enough of "nothing," so to speak. wink

I really want to stop the craziness in my head but know enough not to push it. My ego is pretty darn used to getting it's way, being in charge, being useful to the point of uselessness.

If i was to make myself sit on a pillow for 20-30 minutes I think I would get really stressed out.

Zebra
Zebra
I have tried to meditate. I long for it and for years have wanted to do it well. I suck.

I picked up a book at the library "Beginner's Guide to Yoga" and was reading it last night. It's very short & not intimidating at all.

What they say is that yoga means "union", meaning uniting or yoking with everything. Which I believe comes with achieving the "nothing" mind.

Patanjali (2000 years ago) said "yoga is controlling the waves of the mind." The asanas are essentially ways to be still in the body and to calm the mind.

And, one of the reasons I like yoga in class is that I have to listen and focus and therefore, my mind is not able to go in forty directions. Two sometimes, perhaps. LOL

Even when I'm walking, I can listen to my mp3's, make to-do lists or shopping lists, revisit or invent conversations, watch ducks and turtles, and write articles. I'm mentally all over the place.

In my attempts at meditation, I make it for about three minutes, then I'm off to the races, or to sleep.

I hope yoga will help me learn to meditate. I do enjoy the relaxation/stillness that comes with guided corpse pose. And, I am sticking with yoga for now.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Well, since I'm the meditation editor here you can imagine I really get into my meditations.

I keep it up because I love the peace of mind and relaxed body it gives me. For a few minutes life calms down and I feel in harmony - body, mind, soul.

Over the years I've felt a deepening of my spiritual nature which I think has come from the quiet time of meditation.

That's why I stay with meditation. smile

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That is so great Susan. I am hoping that my yoga pieces of meditation will go well and that maybe at some point I can do 'real' meditation and feel what you feel inside.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
I've found that internal peace and harmony is a process to be recaptured moment to moment - after getting into a regular routine of meditation it is easier to get back to those moments more quickly.

Stick with the technique(s) that you most love. smile

J
Koala
Koala
J
I've tried meditation off and on and, like some of you, I haven't been able to make it a priority. I walk every day (with a CD player and books on CD to listen to) and I go to an exercise class twice a week, plus do some yoga stretches. It's hard to fit in time to meditate.

What I do try to do tho is just spend some quiet time each day. I go into the back yard, sit on our swing and close my eyes for a while, just to let my mind drift a little or try some deep breathing. This isn't "officially" meditating but at least I'm trying to quiet my mind a bit.

Sometimes when I walk too, I shut off the CD player and just look at the trees and changes in the neighborhood.

I think lack of time more than anything keeps me from getting into a good meditation routine but I realize there are many ways to quiet the mind and the more often I can do that, the more peace I have in my life.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
JoanJ -

Both swinging and walking are good moving meditations. If they are quieting your mind, refreshing your body and leading to useful insights they are meditations. smile

Last edited by Susan Kramer; 05/25/08 04:30 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I totally love swinging! And i have found walking also help empty my mind. Most of the time, when there is nature involved, I can most easily feel mental restfulness.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
I also find nature a powerful restorative!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Susan Helene Kramer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.