Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
What kind should I get.

I want to be able to do machine embroidery at home and I would also like one that does the machine quilting. I am a single Mom and would like to also do it to earn a little money on the side as well as for my own personal use.

What kind of machine do you guys recommend. I understand they are expensive, I should imagine $5000 would be the max money I could spend. A family member is offering to purchase one for me so thats why that is even posible.

As I understand it, you can download patterns from the internet directly to the machine.

Any input you can give me would be appreciated. I do not currently own a machine like this so this would be a learning experience for me. I do know how to sew on a regular machine but as I understand it this is a totally different situation.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Lisa

If you have a look at this article on Buying an Embroidery Machine it should assist you in making your purchase.

I'm not a machine embroiderer myself, but it's mostly those at the top end of the market that do quilting and machine embroidery. Most good embroidery machines can also be used for plain stitching, and all of them utilise digitised patterns - however they all have their own formats, which you have to be careful of when you download anything from the internet.

A warning about downloading - like any download it can be dangerous. Unscrupulous people include spyware and viruses in these patterns like they do elseware. DOwnload only from a reputable source - usually the manufacturer's website is safest.

You also need to ensure that your computer is compatable with the transference method into the machine. It's no use downloading, if you can't get them to your machine.

I hope the article helps - and I know that there are a couple of machine enthusiasts here that will, no doubt, help more.

Megan McConnell
F
F
I have said this before. The kind of machine you buy should be based on your wishes, but foremost on the basis of the dealer you have available. There are good dealers and indifferent ones. You want a good one who does his own service and maintenance.
A good European machine, Bernina, Pfaff, Husqvarna will last longer than a Japanese one. I do not know if Elna is still made in Europe or not. My wife has a Bernina that has done over 17 million stitches .The dealer said he has not seen anything like it before.
I doubt if a Japanese made machine would have lasted that long, but they also cost less.
If you want to earn money, you may be better off with a second hand commercial machine. They take up a lot of space, but they work faster.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I agree, Fritsau. You can't go wrong with a Swiss or German machine. My Elna is as old as I am (and weighs a ton - it comes from the '60's when they were solid metal and was the top of the line - able to do normal sewing and embroidery) and my mother's is older than me and both still run beautifully. In fact, my mum used hers as a professional dressmaker and in 1974 it spent 10 days 20 feet under water (the Brisbane Floods) and after a full service, still went on without a problem!

Elna is now made by Janome, and are still made in Europe, but they are all plastic now and don't have the quality.

I know that if I was to buy a new machine, it would be a Bernina or Huskvarna or Pfaff.

Megan McConnell

Moderated by  Megan M 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.