Next Thread
Print Thread
#417024 05/10/08 07:46 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
What bike rack do you use for your bikes? We have a Thule which was nice but which scratched the paint off my Mustang's rear, where it had the hooks that connected in over the hatchback part. It was time for something new.

So we just got a Saris CycleOn Pro. It is GREAT!! You connect this to the trailer hitch on your car. The bikes sit straight upright, and are super easy to get in and out. Literally you just lift your bike and set it into the rails. Then you rotate the grabby arms to grab onto the wheels. It holds the bike in very securely.

It can hold 2 bikes out of the box, or you can get an add-on to hold up to 4. We only need to carry 2 bikes so we are set with this.

It was a *little* loose for the road bike tires, but we got a foam round (like you would use for putting around a pipe) at the bike shop and that did the trick.

There's a lock so someone can't remove the unit from the hitch, or the bikes from the unit. Of course someone who is determined enough with a welder's torch can always cut through anything metal but they'd also look rather suspicious smile

Highly recommended! Here are some photos.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What do you use?

I do want to comment that when we first got it we were worried about how far "back" the bikes were from the rear of the car, and also how they stuck out to either side. However, really they don't stick out much past the edges, and not as far as the mirrors are. Once you get used to the bikes being back there, it's no issue at all.

Last edited by Lisa Low Carb Ed; 05/10/08 08:00 PM.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
B
Ooh great pictures Lisa thanks for sharing that info here!

I have to say though that I can't drive and don't yet own a car, so that pretty much counts me out of this thread really!!! wink

Love the ingeniousness with using the pipe foam to provide a secure fit for those tyres! smile And I imagine that many would have that first concern about the bikes sticking out too much at the back but I'm pleased to hear it's not so much of an issue in practice. They look well positioned so I imagine you're able to see pretty well out to the rear of the car when driving. I've seen many a bike tied up all over the rear windscreen and can only wonder how they manage to see out of the back!

Kaye Barnett
Cycling Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I definitely agree - some bike holders can be real driving hazards!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.