logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#419455 05/18/08 08:03 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Here is an Ethical situation that I need you responce too.

If there is a woman who is 36 weeks pregnant and her baby is not viable, is it OK to use the stem cells to help another life?

Please be free with our responses. I look forward to reading them and have the oppotunity to pass them on to our elected officials.

Thank you,
Colleen
(I have not told you my opinion yet, but be prepared to debate me.)

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Colleen Moore RN #420953 05/23/08 10:30 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I am very surprised I have not had any response to this question. I think that nurses need to stand up for what they believe. We have the power to change legislation! It is our responsibility to get involved in such issues. Just like a petition, this forum can be sent to your state representitive.
If for nothing else, it is interesting to know what the rest of your profession is thinking.
I hadn't wanted to give my opinion until I had heard from you but I will tell you, I think stem cell research is very important to our future.

Colleen Moore RN #420966 05/24/08 01:06 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Hi Colleen, and welcome to BellaOnline!

(I must have missed you post the 1st time around, sorry)

In the instances where the know the baby is not going to live; ie. ectopic pregnancies, spina bifida that cannot be corrected, etc. then I see nothing wrong with using the bodies to help in science if the parent's agree. This after all is still their child, and it is a time of great grief for them - so their feelings must be put first.

I would say handle it with the same care that is given in approaching a family about using their child for organ donation. It holds many similarites.

I would also say that there would need to be a watchdog group over this, to make sure 1 or 2 OBs didn't get happier raising money from doing stem cell research than delivering babies. That could turn into a dangerous situation very quickly.

Oh, and BTW - I used to be a Surgical Tech, and am hoping to finish up my music education degree. But for right now I'm a SAHM and write for here. SO that's where I stand professionally.

Last edited by Michelle_Launch; 05/24/08 01:08 AM.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
C
OP Offline
C
Michelle,

I agree with you whole heartedly! If a fetus is not going to become viable than it should be brought to the parents, just like organ donation, that they could help save another life. Sensitivity is cruetial.

I also believe there should be a "Watch Dog", but until it becomes something accepted by society, who will be that watch dog?

Thanks for your post and good luck with your endeavors!
I wish you well,
Colleen

Colleen

Colleen Moore RN #926212 02/03/18 03:45 PM
N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
If the parents are asked and they agree then there is no problem. It is my opinion that the parents who say no are selfish (just like everyone who do not agree to give their organs after they die are selfish). You are dead so what does it matter unless of course it is not done with respect.

Last edited by Nancy Roussy; 02/03/18 03:46 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.