logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#418656 05/15/08 09:47 AM
OP Offline
Have you ever experienced "tournament politics"? For example, when one of the judges has a student of theirs (or friend) competing in their ring? First of all, I don't believe someone should be allowed to judge someone from their own martial arts school in a tournament setting.

Case in point: I was at a tournament observing and due to lack of attendance, there was only 3 competitors in one particular ring/division - all equal age & same gender. One was a higher ranking competitor (normally similar ranks compete together, but on occasion, divisions are combined). The other 2 competitors were of equal rank.

The first peer competed and blanked out in the middle of their form. He came to attention, bowed, and the center judge told him to take up where he blanked out. The second peer did his form prior and did it without error. But the competitor who blanked out ended up coming in second place! I saw that he knew the judges and was joking with them prior to the competition and is from the same school/area.

Why didn't the competitor who blanked out, come in third? Do you suspect politics were involved? Without hesitation, I would guess "yes" but I'm curious to hear other's thoughts on something like this.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amethyst22 #421369 05/26/08 09:13 AM
C
Shark
Shark
C
Was the one that blanked out of lower rank? Were they doing the same form? Even if they are placed together on the floor, things like rank and difficulty of the form are taken into consideration.

Having judged many touraments, I wouldn't be so quick to jump to politics. I personally have had to grade people I've known against those I haven't. I've had to grade my own students and friends against people doing the same forms from distant schools. In fact, I've graded my own instructor against complete strangers.

For the judge's perspective, it's not the easiest thing to do. I'd like to think I've been fair and accurate in judging the form and not the person. But, even I have gotten accused of the very thing you speak of. And all for the very reasons you speak of above. [Do note though, to this day my instuctor likes to tease me that I didn't rank him on top; we have a lot of fun with that one... wink.]

Integrity of a judge is difficult to maintain. But it is done and more than people realized. Organizers don't want politics like this to always overrule the competition spirit and those that do let it rule them will often find themselves not invited back to be judges.

It does happen and I won't lie.

But, one of the keys that I stress with EVERY student I see compete, winning trophies is great. But remember, tournaments are often against people who know nothing about your form or style and may not be able to appreciate all of the style's complexities just from one form. Competing in a tournament, thus, isn't where you go to show you've learned your style. That's why you have a belt around your waist and a rank. You've already been judged by one of the most important person in your system, your instructor.

And it's not about where you place. It's about the fact you stood out there and competed. There are millions upon millions of students around the world, but only a handful build the courage to step out into the tournament floor. Placement or not, you've already won your own personal battles by stepping out onto that floor. That is the reward you should be aiming for, not the approval of others.

A warrior's heart is focused on conquoring their fears and trepidations -- not to win accolades from another.

Last edited by Caroline - Martial Arts; 05/26/08 09:19 AM.

- Sifu Caroline
Martial Arts

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.