Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
There are times when I get moody around certain people or have anxiety, especially in crowds. Even if people act like everything's o.k. I'll start pacing because I feel something different. This can happen too slightly before I get a visit at the house. I've gotten enough confirmations in my life to understand I'm picking up energy signals.

I've heard of shielding and I do give myself a pep-talk before I go into the city or what not but sometimes, it's like a catch 22. I don't want to be completly without it, because I can assess a situation but it makes me a nervous wreck at some inapropriate times.

How do you handle being an Empath?

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
There are just certain people that I am not comfortable around and find I have to shield that or walk away from it. Often, when I go to this one person's house for gatherings, she has a friend there that is one of those people I just prefer to stay clear of because of the thoughts and vibes I pick up from her. So, I stay off in a part of the house away from that person. My friend thinks I am just in a mood/depressed/having an axiety moment. It is not that at all - it is just that I have the ability to sense what others do not. In this case with my friends' friend, she is just a demanding, possessive type person who wants all the attention and control and therefore is devious and manipulative.

The best way for me to handle these situations is to mentally block/shield when the issue is not really important and to open up to it if I sense any real danger that needs to be avoided. If I am in a crowd and sense these feelings, then I leave as soon as possible.

To "shield", I learned years ago from a therapist friend of mine to do an affirmation of protection and at the same time to place my thumb and ring finger on my left hand together. After months of doing this, now all I have to do is hold the finger and thumb together and it gives me the mental affirmation to think clearly and block out the other person's thoughts so I am not influenced by them.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
That's a wonderful tip and one that I'll use. It's true too, when you feel something and react to it, it can be confused and understandibly so, with depression or general anxiety.

I also, will remove myself as quietly as possible, and people can worry, but I'm o.k. and trying to handle it as best as I can by not reacting confrontationally, but like yourself, I know there are certain times when a person gives off that thing.

Even if I don't care for the person in general, but they happen to be in a good mood, really, I can tolerate and even enjoy the person, but when that thing is there it's like someone's playing racket ball in my gut! It can be hairy when a mutual friend has connections with someone that agitates. You don't want to offend anyone and at the same time don't want a life long sentence with that person's energy either.

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 05/08/08 11:21 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
The thing that bothers me the most is consistent negativity in people. I'm extremely sensitive to this and have several important, and negative people in my life. My daughter, 2 of my friends and my Mother are all extremely negative and pessimistic. I learned to protect myself by doing several things. With these people I call them on it and demand they stop it. I have to be a bit more tactful with my Mother.

When in a group and with people I don't know, I put up a shield of positivity. I try to redirect conversations and point out the negativity. I have even spoken to those I don't know about their negativity, in the hopes something will click in them. If all my attempts fail, I remove myself.

Being empathic, there are many people who just make your skin crawl. I think each of us has to develop our personal tactics to "shield" ourselves. However, sometimes when you point out a person's negativity, it can actually help.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Elephant
Elephant
I call those people who take me down with their negativity soul suckers. I had a "friend" once who when I was around her I became drained, withdrawn, and so negative and depressed.

Others have washed me in their haoppiness and I felt totally alive and giddy with excitement.

I think I have very good empathic abilities and have now learned to control them better. I have also learned how to broadcast my own emotional state (mainly happiness, joy, compassion) to others while I work on them at the spa.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Hey, I like that phrase "Soul Suckers." That really nails it. I have a friend who is like that and I regularly call her on it. I've actually told her "I can't deal with you today!" She really needs to be the center of attention and many times resorts to the "Poor, poor, pitiful me" stuff, which drives me nuts. She's actually a very good and dependable friend. I just have to "whack" her about once a week to knock her out of that mindset. I refuse to give up on her though. One of these days, she just might actually get it.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
We had a discussion about this over in "New Age" about 2 years ago, talking about "energy vampires".

Lauren (D'Silva) has an article up about it: Warding Off the Energy Vampires

Basically we atlked about our energy, or aura, is constatnly around us -and some people tap into that, often without even realizing it.

They may be slightly psychic, nd only knoe they feel better around certain people - while its the inverse for the other person.

And our emotions seem to let energy "leak" out more. Like when I am having an argument with my mother, and getting reaslly angry - I start getting worn out, whereas she starts getting revved up. I've always teased her about "taking my steam".

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Elephant
Elephant
i thought I wouldn't give up on my friend either. That was until she finally went to far and inserted herself in my personal relationships with others. She made me loose a boyfriend by IM'ing him and telling him all kinds of things I supposedly did which in fact she did herself to others. She lost me a job. She almost cost me friendships with others. I had to finally say enough was enough. She was literally sucking my soul out of me... hence my bf sabs and I's term Soul Sucker

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Now that's what I call a "Pot Stirrer," someone who must always stick their spoon in someone else's pot and keep things stirred up. These people I can not abide. They feed off negative energy and drama, and probably qualify as energy vampires. I honestly don't care if they are merely sadistic, or somehow elevate their self perception through it.

When possible, I stand up to them and point out their motives, but personally keep my distance. The phrase "Can't trust them any farther than I can throw them," definitely applies to Pot Stirrers.

You were so correct to distance yourself from someone who felt the need to insert that much negativity into your life.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I'm a professional, lol, on this topic, truly. Im the type of person that has comitted relationships. Sometimes it's a good thing, others well, sometimes I don't know when to get off the pot.

My recent ex and his family are negative with a capital "ive" I'd felt it in the beginning just at a garage sale when I first was introduced, but didn't know what I was feeling - just nausea.
They each fed off of something bad as I would later find out, like they couldn't wait to be the first one to be p*$$y. In thinking I could possibly help in some way, not only did I become exhausted and physically drained, but caught myself after awhile feeling negative inside myself.

To this day, it's been affirmed for me, anyway, that negative and positive are in fact energies of which everything is composed. You can litterally change your life by adhereing to one or the other. The trick is doing an arial check of yourself to see if maybe we haven't slipped off the positive train and didn't know it. Sometimes it sneaks up on you!

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Elleise - Clairvoyance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.