Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#417524 05/12/08 04:19 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor

http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/PD--13108497/SP--A/IGID--2307079/The_Scream_c1893.htm

Research has found that the sky really DID look like this when he painted this painting, because of a volcanic eruption. So he wasn't far off. Of course, the unhappy person is another story, but you never know smile

Would you hang this in your home?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I think you could hang this in a bathroom to give you incentive to eat healthily smile

The painting doesn't really bother me, it's like a lava lamp image. It's interesting that the railing is straight while the rest of the world wriggles. The guy looks like a space alien ... maybe someone just stepped on his friend, the ant ...

Low Carb Forum
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
For me, it's definitely intriguing enough to hang somewhere in my home.

Last edited by Bea Scott; 05/12/08 05:07 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I think he looks a little too "upset" for my tastes, I'd always wonder just what got stepped on - a baby bird? His lunch?

But I'm quirky - like I said, I think this would be "fun" in a place where his shocked expression was seemingly aimed at something - maybe the shower smile

Low Carb Forum
C
Zebra
Zebra
C
Not one of my favorites. I don't think I would have it in my home. A bit too eerie.

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
I always had the impression that the figure was a woman and her scream was due to the horror of the volcanic eruptions. The fugure in the background seems to be watching the volcanoe explode. I actually had a coffe mug once with this image on it and it started up a lot of conversations. I think I would like the painting in my home as a conversation piece and to hear different people's impression or interpretation of it. Fascinating!

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Well the colors are from a volcanic eruption - albeit far, far away - so your imagination makes sense! I thought of him as a bald, middle aged man, looking forward at something shocking. Forward and down. Not something serious like mass destruction, but something small and personal, like a person stepping on a baby bird by accident.

Yes definitely this would be a good conversation starter - people would talk about this much more than say a portrait of a woman! smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
The reason of this piece is not about a volcanic eruption. No one knows about that, and the specifics don't matter in archetypal art. It speaks to a certain POV. We all feel this pain at times. That is why it's so amazing. smile It's about a fundamental point in most people's lives, an internal scream, a sense of despair and the internal scream that comes out at crux moments. smile I have been there. The picture is about that point that most people relate to. smile

Last edited by Jilly; 05/13/08 02:05 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I understand what you're saying about the fundamental scream emotion. I agree! There are powerful emotions in here smile

Regarding the "background" - I do want to say that yes, we do know that the background colors were due to a volcanic explosion at the time. So he wasn't "inventing" that color landscape. That is what he actually saw, from that spot. They know the exact spot he did the painting in. So he went to that spot and saw that exact landscape. That then inspired him to put a person into that scene with that emotion.

So one question would be - if he hadn't seen those fantastic colors, would he have done that painting? Would he have done a painting with what he saw (i.e. the plain regular background) and would it have had the same impact? Would we have lost this painting forever? It doesn't look like he "invented" colors in other works, so it's unlikely that he would have spontaneously painted a bright red sky if he didn't actually see a bright red sky - and maybe it was that bright red sky that made him think about pain and heartache ...

Last edited by Lisa Low Carb Ed; 05/13/08 01:53 AM.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Quote:
But I'm quirky - like I said, I think this would be "fun" in a place where his shocked expression was seemingly aimed at something - maybe the shower

That's really funny Lisa. I agree that would be cool in a bathroom. Maybe lifesize by the full-length mirror... smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Art Appreciation 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.