Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I was in an REI (outdoors) store tonight getting some biking gear and came across this DVD. I'm a little intimidated because it says for "advanced beginners" through intermediate - but I'm going to give it a try!

Does anybody else have it? It's two DVDs so it looks like it has a lot of content!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I actually ordered this one, plus Trance Dance, a few days ago. i am eagerly awaiting them and will give you my reviews! smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I watched the introduction, which is very long as far as introductions go. It's really just a long discussion of her about "our bodies are made up of fluids" and "fluids are good" and so on smile So nothing very enlightening.

Then out of the main "preconstructed set" on DVD 1, you have six selections ranging from I think 25 to 105 minutes. I didn't write it down - I'll do that tomorrow smile

I did some of the "basic" set. It starts with general "wave your arms around, now wave your wrists around" loosening stuff. On one hand you can say "it's hard to follow exactly what she's doing". But on the other hand she is telling you explicitly to be freeform. So it's more like "wave your arms in big circles for a while. OK now wave them in littler circles. Have fun! Wiggle around!" smile So it is relaxing and good.

Then she goes into a more "normal" set of movements, stretching up, bending down, doing plank, then downward facing dog, and so on. I had to stop partway through the set, but so far it is looking good smile She did go up into the sideways plank which I can't do yet, but she is always saying to do things at your OWN speed, with your own body in mind. She always says to do something on your knees if you can't do it full length, or so on.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I just got my Fluid Power DVD in yesterday. I am reading through the little booklet that came with it. Can't wait to try this!

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
We'll be trying this one pretty much simultaneously, that is cool smile

I am going to try the regular "sun salutations" today from the Yoga for Beginners, but if you post when you try a section from fluid power I'll go try that one too smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Cool! Let me look at the Fluid Power parts right now. There has *got* to be something easy in there with all those choices. smile

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
So, i used the matrix option to pick an opening meditation, a closing meditation and the savasana.

Opening: Spiral meditation, 7 minutes. Cool arm waving and wiggling around, followed by free form spinning and dancing. Very aerobic, but easy and fluid.

Closing: Fluid Systems Meditation, 7 mins. One movement - while standing, open and close your arms for 7 whole minutes while Shiva does a voice over about how many cells we have in our body. I found this a little tedious but might come around once I get better at letting my mind stop judging. smile

Savasana - nice, some rocking of the head from side to side for a bit of flow, before the more traditional corpse pose.

The matrix is VERY easy and intuitive to use. What a great development!

I am sitting here with my laptop and have on the Pre-set sequence called the Lunar Flow. It looks very nice. Very slow movements, mostly seated. This will probably be the first pre-set sequence i try on this disc.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
This matrix thing is so cool!! OK I am following in Jilly's footsteps. I programmed in the same sequence.

Section 1 was exactly what I had done before in their "basics" area I think. The exact same sequence. I like that a lot, very relaxing and wiggly. I admit that when I went into freeform I began to think "I must look really stupid" but I caught myself and encouraged myself to think "nobody is here - I am loosening up my joints!"

Second, 2 with the arms going in and out was VERY hard for me. My arms were quite sore with this simple exercise. Bob got home during this and was doing it with me. He is much better at it than I am.

Finally the relaxation part, Bob was talking about this and that and distracting me. He was at his laptop. So finally I went to turn it off so he could watch his basketball game. He said "I was enjoying the relaxation of that!" when I did smile So I guess he relaxes with talking. smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Heehee, that made me laugh about Bob relaxing with talking.

It's nice he was doing the arm thing with you.

Sounds like he is in a happy mood. smile

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Dan and I did 52 minutes of pieces chosen from the matrix today. Dan didn't like it. He said 'too free-form, too weird.' He preferred the 'real yoga' from Barbara Brenagh's DVDs, rather than the 'dancing' vinyasa stuff on the Fluid Power DVD.

I liked the stuff I picked out - some of it is quite exhausting!

Prana Flow Opening Meditation (7 mins)- Nice breathing, standing, arms out in and in and swung overhead. Then free form movement. Dan hated this; it was dancing to him. I loved it. Very energizing; a good wakeup to get limber.

Water Salutation (8 mins) - a version of the Sun Salute that is very undulating and goes in several directions. Fast, tiring and hard to keep up with. Dan tried at first and then bugged out. He hopped on the treadmill at this point. Lotsa Lunges. Undulating Downdogs. Tons of Full Updogs. I liked the waving the arms over the head and twisting parts.

Basic Fluid Backbend (10 min) - Starts out with repetitive vinyasa flows like downdog to cobra, over and over. Then moves on to harder poses like Camel, Wheel Pose (upward bow), all with flow movements. Very cool half wheel poses with flow - i liked those and felt very smooth. But by the time she got to Full Wheel Pose, I was tired! I could do one of them but she just kept going, like a machine. smile This was labeled as Intermediate level.

Prana Yoga Slow Wave (12 min) - a little bizarre. Lying on your back and sides, making swimming motions. Mostly freeform. Slow and nice calm section while still flowing with arms and legs in the air, waving around. Very easy.

Closing Meditation (5 min) - Sitting and gently swaying. Very nice. I like this meditation better than the Fluid Systems one I described in a post above (the one that is opening and closing your arms for seven minutes).

Shavasana (5 min) - Nice as usual. I was pooped.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I admit I felt a little odd doing the "dance around in circles" part too - you have to let yourself go and not worry about looking silly. I think it's a great thing to learn to do but it's not easy. Maybe expose him to this in small doses to get him used to the idea smile Moving around circularly like this is definitely good for your joints!

Low Carb Forum
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I have to say that I'm with Dan, Shiva seems awfully wafty to me. I'm too literal to feel at one with my cell's consciousness, or whatever, just give me the poses!
She does present a hard workout though, so for that I find her useful. But it will take me a while to learn her methods because she doesn't talk you through it very clearly.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wafty - what a cool word!

I'm playing with colors smile

I agree with the thought and am trying to become accepting of waftiness smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I have been called wafty in my day....

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I think we should embrace our inner waftiness, and go with the flow smile

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.