Next Thread
Print Thread
#417928 05/13/08 05:04 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
A recent study has found that Seniors are Most Content. One of the study members said -

"Contentment as far as I'm concerned comes with old age ... because you accept things the way they are," she said. "You know that nothing is perfect."

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Contentment, i haven't found any yet in my life

Rosie L
Shark
Shark
It is interesting that the study used the word content, and not happy. I teach classes in many senior living homes, so I am working with people that are taking classes and are social. They seem to have accepted their situation and realize that there is nothing that they can do about it. So maybe you could call them content. But they are not happy.

Many senior citizens are on meds for depression, which commonly sets in as you age. They have slowed down, lost their significant others, and/or are no longer able to take care of themselves in the manner that they once did. Maybe they didn't include any of these people in their sampling?

On a more personal level, my father died when he was 62, and after that my mother had a hard time finding her balance. She found the term "golden years" to be bogus. I found the process of watching her age to be extremely painful.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I'm a Gen Xer, so I may be too young to comment.

I've found happiness and contentment (and I agree, they are different things) by accepting that my ambitions were unreasonable, or maybe that I like what I'm doing more than what I thought I would do.

I love my job, although I never saw myself here 10 years ago. I make a damn good wage. I have a fulfilling (for me) home life. I am planning for the future. Life really could not get any better, in my opinion.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Carol -

The study does say they didn't follow people in nursing homes but they felt that was valid since only a small part of people are in nursing homes. You can read the article for more details on that. So I'm sure that a senior who is in her own home, with her cats, having fun with her friends has a different outlook than someone who is in a group home, not in their "own personal" home, and subject to the rules and whims of others.

Rosie - you're not content? But you're making all sorts of great progress! It doesn't content you? What do you feel discontented about?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Lisa there are so many things, my daughter is living with the HIV virus right now shes has a severe kidney infection, she can't fight off infections well, the 15th of this month is my sons birthday he was killed at age 13. my grandson will be moving back home with me at the end of this month (a good thing n a not so good thing) my granddaughter is being abused (sexually) DSS has been called in. i have been having heart palpitations have been put on medication for that and I was in the psych ward for 3 days because i was having suicidal thoughts
I would love to have some contentment in my life, thanks for letting me rattle that all out i needed that

Rosie L
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I'm not only content, but quite happy with my life at 74. Having a comfortable little paid-for house, enough money to live on, (luckily my needs are few) good health, interests that keep me busy and friends and family that sometimes amaze me with their concern and love make me as happy as I have ever been.

Even though I have suffered some really bad times and losses in the past I have been able to put them behind me and enjoy the now. Selective amnesia can be a blessing!

I realize that it all hinges on staying healthy, so I do all I can to keep that way. One bad illness or accident could throw all of this into the toilet, for sure!

Moderated by  DeboraD 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.