logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gecko
Gecko
When our daughter was two my husband and I separated. I was in training for the ministry, as was he (a minister's son following in dad's footsteps) when my husband discovered paganism. He went totally Neo (that uber pagan stage most neophytes go through) showing up at my school to meet me with a huge pentacle around his neck, wearing a cloak and other odd clothing involving bunny fur (it was the 70s so we'll cut him some slack). I was mortified. Not because of his shift in religious beliefs but because he was abusing our relationship to make his own statement.
Shortly after we separated when it was his turn to have our daughter overnight and take her to daycare, I would find that he had made her wear a small pentacle necklace to school. My fear was that athough she was being educated in both Christian and pagan traditions (harmoniously for the most part as much of paganism fleshed out my personal Christian beliefs)at 3 or 4 she was not able to articulate why she wore a sometimes socially misinterpreted symbol of faith. We all know there are dumbos out there who still mistake the pentacle for a symbol of Satanism and it didn't seem fair or safe to have her perhaps so labeled. We decided on a truce - no religious symbols period. It's unfair that she could have worn a cross and no one would object but not a pentacle. It's been 20 years since then but I'm not sure how much that has changed.

Be kinder than you need to be. Everyone is dealing with something.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
trishh #356719 11/28/07 12:47 PM
F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
I would argue that it isn't good to have a small child wear a cross either. If you can't explain why you are wearing it, you shouldn't be allowed to. Unless, of course, you are wearing it solely for its looks...

#357423 12/01/07 11:06 AM
Gecko
Gecko
I thought I would need to clarify after I posted - I never had my daughter wearing a cross - but needed to make that part of the agreement with my ex so that we could agree on no religious symbols. I agree with you fully that a symbol should only be worn by a person who can explain what it means to them and why they wear it. The same goes for tshirts with writing in other languages on them... if you are not sure what it says, don't wear it. You might end up feeling very foolish when someone who can read it translates. blush

Last edited by trishh; 12/01/07 11:07 AM.

Be kinder than you need to be. Everyone is dealing with something.
trishh #357435 12/01/07 01:08 PM
F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
This is true. I lived in Okinawa, Japan for 4 years. A lot of people would get Kanji tattoos, and some Kanji characters are so intricate that they don't translate well to a tattoo. Well, with slight imperfections in the design came a whole new meaning to the tattoo! Much to their surprise.

trishh #358402 12/06/07 07:34 PM
E
Koala
Koala
E
Originally Posted By: trishh
I would find that he had made her wear a small pentacle necklace to school. My fear was that athough she was being educated in both Christian and pagan traditions (harmoniously for the most part as much of paganism fleshed out my personal Christian beliefs)at 3 or 4 she was not able to articulate why she wore a sometimes socially misinterpreted symbol of faith. We all know there are dumbos out there who still mistake the pentacle for a symbol of Satanism and it didn't seem fair or safe to have her perhaps so labeled. We decided on a truce - no religious symbols period.

You see, now this is why I really appreciate the aspect of Paganism that considers itself a totally private and personal practice. I can understand why some people feel the need to claim their paganism loudly (especially when coming out from another religion that does so), but I feel that the more discreet someone is about their practice the more sacred it is.

I totally agree that a child of that age is not in a position to discuss why their family "believes" a certain thing, and that goes for any religion. I feel only the principles/morals of a community should be taught to very young children, the actual religious aspects should only be shared when the children are old enough to understand and make their own decisions. Belief in a religion should never be forced on anyone - many of us know what happens when it is.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I thought I would bump this thread for parents who are raising their children Pagan. Do you have any great tips or stories (good or bad) you would like to share?

Also, I know there are many Pagan festivals and would love to hear what you think is the most family friendly and any stories about that you would like to share. smile

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ninjahedgewych 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.