Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Shark
Shark
T
I think those that choose to stay home and raise kids and/or be housewives have threatened the feminist movement so they (feminists) take on a defensive stance. After all, they pretty much fought to be able to have a pretty different lifestyle from that and by choosing that lifestyle over what they fought for might negate their purpose.

However... there are enough women who also choose to be career women, working wives and/or mothers, that I don't feel those who choose to stay home are negating the purpose of feminism at all. They are exemplifying the FREEDOM we have to CHOOSE!

I've actually recently encountered more attitudes AGAINST the working mom, so I am seeing a different aspect here... on one local board I visit regularly, my peers are saying that Sarah Palin should not be running for Vice President because she has 5 kids, one of which is special needs and one of which is 17 and pregnant. They feel her place is at home with the kids.

These are supposedly liberal-minded democrats who typically support women in the workplace... the one who is most vocal (in particular) is a mom who runs several of her own businesses from home.

It boggles MY mind that women (WOMEN!) who are supposed to be liberal would be so judgmental and sexist when it comes to a fellow-woman's choice to work. I would much rather see criticism's over her politics/beliefs/platform than judgment based on something that men never seem to have to worry about.

Michelle
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Shark
Shark
S
I just want equal pay for equal jobs. Women haven't been given the advantages in the past that we have now. It takes a long time to catch up.

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
When people start reaching for criticism in something like that, truth be told, they've got nothin else - they're desperate and/or threatened.

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
T
Shark
Shark
T
I've still been pondering this. In my women's studies class we are learning all about feminism and based on what I am learning, I would say that a true feminist cannot be pro-life. Not based on their (the textbooks and what they are teaching) standards.

I say this because we were given the example of the women's sufferage movement. There were women who only wanted the right to vote and didn't really care to change anything else. They were not true feminists. The true feminists are the one's who fight in every area of inequality for women, including reproductive rights. So the people who call themselves "pro-life feminists" are not true feminists in that sense because they are cherry-picking which causes they support or don't support.

As a side note, I found the official "feminists for life" website today but have not yet had a chance to look it all over to see exactly where they stand on the abortion issue and what they are wanting to do about it.

Last edited by toddzgrrl02; 10/02/08 10:33 AM.

Michelle
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Now that I'm an adult and have talked to lots of women, I realize I was raised a little differently. I hear other women say that girls are socialized to be mothers and caregivers. Not in my house.

I was told to go to school, go to work and don't look at boys, don't like boys, don't have children. My parents meant well truly they did and as an adult I understand what they meant. As a teenager they didn't want me to get too involved with boys and get pregnant. But there was no balance. Never once did they say "when you get older and start your family..."

So there I was 28, married and pregnant, I kept hearing my father's voice in my head: "have two and three kids and it ruins your life." I was groomed to be a provider NOT a mother. So this caused a lot of internal conflict and turmoil. In short I do have some feminist sensibilities in terms of being independent, working and providing, but wouldn't say I'm a card carrying feminist or anything like that.

Last edited by leahmullen; 10/02/08 07:30 PM.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Originally Posted By: toddzgrrl02

I've actually recently encountered more attitudes AGAINST the working mom, so I am seeing a different aspect here... on one local board I visit regularly, my peers are saying that Sarah Palin should not be running for Vice President because she has 5 kids, one of which is special needs and one of which is 17 and pregnant. They feel her place is at home with the kids.

These are supposedly liberal-minded democrats who typically support women in the workplace... the one who is most vocal (in particular) is a mom who runs several of her own businesses from home.

It boggles MY mind that women (WOMEN!) who are supposed to be liberal would be so judgmental and sexist when it comes to a fellow-woman's choice to work. I would much rather see criticism's over her politics/beliefs/platform than judgment based on something that men never seem to have to worry about.

Well the thing about Palin is that when you consider the whole hearth/home/family first rhetoric that the Republicans spout, you can't help but wonder, well WHO is and has been taking care of Palin's five children when she's out governing? If it's her husband or another family member well alrighty then. But if it's a paid nanny...it's just hypocritical I think.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

T
Shark
Shark
T
I've read plenty of interviews that explains who takes care of her kids. It's not hard to find. She has a large extended family who helps her with the kids.

Even if it was a nanny, so what? There are a lot of rich people who employ nannies so they can work from home and not be interrupted constantly, or so they can work outside the home and know their kid is cared for. How is a nanny any different than sending your child to a daycare or babysitter? I'm a republican and I don't take issue with moms who choose to work outside of the home. I am one. I think attitudes are changing and people just don't want to see that. If working and having kids at the same time means your family is not coming first, then we have a lot of families out there failing right now and not putting family first because MOST families cannot get by on a one wager earner income.

I just don't agree with that sentiment. For the longest time this is what feminists have fought for, and now that they are getting it and people in the public's eye are doing it, they still aren't happy. Instead of giving women credit and encouraging them, we are going back to the whole, well she isn't putting her family first attitude. The republican party may have held that opinion in the past, but younger generations are getting more involved and they have a different opinion.

Michelle
G
G
Grrl, I have been all over the forum today making up for lost time and am seeing you all over it. I assure you I am not stalking you! Here's an article I wrote "Feminist, Womanist or Simply Woman" it might give you some good places to start research for your class, I remember I had some good research links...BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Gina Cowley, Women's Issues Editor
Women's Issues
G
G
Ok...there's the link again. I see how I screwed that up!! You guys have a good night!
Feminist, Womanist or Simply WomanBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Gina Cowley, Women's Issues Editor
Women's Issues
T
Shark
Shark
T
Hey, stalk away, at least it's intelligent conversation! LOL I always appreciate that, even if we don't always agree. Thanks for the link. I'm going to go read that now.

Michelle
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Barbara - Women's Issues 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.