Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
The Pope has told all Catholics that they can only get pregnant the "natural way" and can never use any birth control -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I remember discussing a previous pope's similar statement about 40 years ago with some practising Catholic women like me. One said, in scathing tones, "NOBODY listens to the Pope!" Most of us end up doing what we think is best. A celibate man can make rules but a woman does what she has to do.

I would interpret taking vitamins as a very natural way of maintaining good health.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Vitamins aren't natural though - eating healthy foods would be natural. Vitamins are chemical concoctions made very unnaturally, by chemists, in a capsule form smile

Creation of vitamins and creation of in vitro fertilization isn't really that different smile

If I were a Catholic and the main leading speaker for Catholic rules gave an order, though, is it really right to ignore it? To me it really seems the Pope is "out of touch" if he honestly is saying that all couples who have fertility problems must just accept that as the will of God. If someone is hit by a car, they don't accept the injuries as the will of God - they go to a hospital for help ...

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Although I disagree with the Pope (hey, let him meet MY son and tell me that he shouldn't exist, which would have been the case without fertility assistance), I do feel he at least is consistent in his belief. The problem, as head of a religion, he is dictating to others without really understanding the issues, or looking at the world picture (when talking about contraception.)

I find it amazing that there are hypocrites, though, that think contraception is a no-no, because if they get pregnant, it is "God's will" -- but if they don't conceive without help, they don't view THAT as "God's will" but go ahead and use whatever is needed. (And if they have a litter, well, -- you got it; it's "God's will.")

I think the Pope needs to take into consideration 1. the times we live in and 2. the fact that we were given BRAINS to use, to solve problems.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I think the main reason the official stance of the Catholic Church is against both birth control and fertility treatment is that both of those choices can be in the hands of a woman, alone.

Women have no voice in the Catholic church and no one really speaks for women either.

I mean no disrespect to anyone's religion, I'm speaking as a former Catholic and my statement above is the main reason I had to leave. The Church wants to keep total control over women's choices so they can't possibly allow a woman to conceive a child through artificial insemination....no man needed. And they want control of a woman's choice not to reproduce in her partner's hands, as well.

I once saw a television show on PBS about the reason there are no women priests and why the church still refuses to allow contraception and the final conclusion in the show was that the Church is so afraid of the power of WOMAN that the only way to deal with their fear is to maintain total control and not let the power see the light of day.

L
L
Birth control has always been against Catholic doctrine. I don't think any religion should change to conform to the mores of the day. The dictate isn't really that Catholics have to have children, just that they shouldn't prevent it if it's God's will that they have them.

Also, I may get flamed, but I have to agree with the Pope. If a woman really can't get pregnant, considering adoption before spending years and tens of thousands on fertility treatments is probably best for everyone. We have so many women doing that and yet at the same time have so many kids who are waiting to be adopted who never will be.

But, saying that, no one has to be Catholic. If they don't agree, they don't have to be.

So, Lizz, you must also be against open heart surgery, treatment for Diabetes, cancer treatments, vaccinations, treatment for Parkinsons Disease, MS, etc. After all, whatever happens to a person must be "God's will," and with your line of reasoning, medical advancement is unnecessary. Why have hospitals? Why protect children who lose their parents to war or disease?

That is precisely the problem with religion...people are not supposed to think about the big picture; just follow the rules.

Cheers!
Dragonfly
L
L
Why, you must know all about me! Lol. I'm not a Catholic, I was just trying to explain the doctrine. I'm not a fan of religion either.

The interesting thing about the Catholic religion is that it started in the Middle East where "custom" gives no rights to women (even today). In most countries of the Middle East, it is a man's world, and women are told what to wear, where to go, how to act...and are not allowed to read or have exposure to the outside world (in the name of religion).

Although the pope for the Roman sect resides in Rome, the "church" chooses to follow those rules because it is convenient - they can claim such bigotry in the name of God. For those American Catholics who "live by their own rules anyway," it is easier to pretend it is not discriminatory than it is to implement change for the good of man.

Cheers!
Dragonfly
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
God's not a fan of religion either and the Pope certainly is not the "right hand of God" either. The trouble with the Catholic religion is that the hierarchy contorts and twists the laws already handed down by God.

It is my own opinion, that there are other things wrong with the so called organized religions, but the Catholic religion especially. I will not get into specifics because my opinion offends people and I do not want that to happen.

It is also my belief that in the Book of Revelations there is a "Great Whore of Babylon" mentioned and it is my belief, my personal opinion, that it is the Catholic religion. The Vatican has its own money, its own city and the Vatican itself i just dripping with gold and riches of all sorts.

Plus I have no respect for any religion that allows members of its clergy to continue in the clergy after they have been arrested and convicted of abuse. However, it is my own personal opinion. I am not judging them as they are not bothering me. They can do what they want and when they want as long as it is not affecting me and it isn't. They can pass any law they want to. It is up to the individual person to give it credence or not.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
Hello Vance!!! Been a while. I wanted to look up the word catholic in my 1963 websters dictionary. Here is what it says: Universal; general; embracing all; liberal; large-hearted; free from prejudice; including all mankind.[GREEK} My concern is for those people who are not satisfied with the catholic faith anymore and some do not know which way to turn. Bashing what they have without giving them a pathway to another experience is cruel. If you can give people hope because of what you believe speak it to them. I am a __________ because of these benefits that I receive; _____ _______ _______ _______ _______. Give people hope for a better life. If converts come out of fear you have never really captured their heart. If they come because of your love you may have just saved a life. Good to post by you again Vance!! Dave

S
S
my dear ladies in the house. dont be too hard on the Pope. he only said what he knows. my advice on the issue is that every christian has the bible. study and meditate on under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The TRUTH will be revealed to you. WHAREVER YOU DO WITHOUT FAITH IS SIN. WHATEVER YOU DO IN LOVE AND FAITH IS NO SIN. Stay blessed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Stacy - Conception 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.