Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
R
Performing a monthly breast self-exam is the first step in detecting breast cancer.

How Often to you do a Breast Self-Exam?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 05/04/08 05:48 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Zebra
Zebra
C
This is such an important topic. We all need to take the time to do this more often.

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
I posted this question in the breast cancer forum, but since there doesn't seem to be activity there, thought I would post it here:

Six months ago, my mammo showed a suspicious spot. Follow up digital mammo and ultrasound looked benign, so they said have a 6 month follow-up.

Did that. The area looks bigger, but likely still okay. They'll be doing an u/s guided core needle biopsy in a week (first chance I could fit in between their schedule openings and my wacky schedule), to make sure there aren't any precancerous or cancerous cells hangin' out in there. Oh, goody -- a new life experience! ;-)

But my question is -- can the bit of enlargement in the cyst be due to being premenstrual? (And I've got the appetite to prove it, as well as the breast tenderness.) And if so, is it likely to reverse itself after my period starts -- which should be before the biopsy. I think it would be kind of funny, in a perverse way, if the growth since Oct. disappeared between now and the biopsy..

R
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
R
Hi Ms A,

If the cyst is a fibrocystic lump (which is benign) then it will increase in size and be tender just before your period starts. Many times fibrocystic lumps will disappear during your period. Your doctor must not be convinced that the suspicious spot is fibrocystic and that's why he wants to do the needle biopsy.

I will keep you in my thoughts as you wait for the test day to get here and then for the results. Waiting for results can be absolutely grueling.

Please keep us posted!

M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Thanks. The biopsy is tomorrow, the results in 2-4 days (and I suspect it will be on the 4 side, so I won't worry about it until then.)

I've already figured, what's the worst case? It's cancer and we treat it. The best case? Benign. And, of course, middling one, it is precancerous, and we treat that.

Heck, at least I won't have to deal with premenstrual breast tenderness during the biopsy!

R
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
R
Ms. A,

Hope everything went smoothly today. Just wanted you to know you were in my thoughts. Keep us posted.

M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Thanks -- the biopsy was a piece of cake. (Well, not literally...)
I've felt far worse going to the dentist.

The radiologist thinks it will come up benign, and I figure she sees this sort of thing day in and day out, so probably has a clue. They actually had a bit of a time finding the darned thing with the ultrasound, but they were more wily than the cyst, so found it.

I'll get the official results no later than Wednesday, but I'm expecting good news.

M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Just got the results -- benign, fibroadenoma, which, according to my research, is one of the types not exhibiting any associating with breast cancer development. Yeah!

R
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
R
Yea! What wonderful news!!! laugh

I'm so happy for you!

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
I've read that up to 90% of breast changes caused by breast cancer are found by the woman herself during a breast self-exam. I don't know if that's an accurate figure, but regardless, this is one of the most important (and easiest) things we can do to lower our risk of breast cancer. Here's a good reference guide:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Gail Armanini, Editor
Breast Cancer Site *** Breast Cancer Forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.