Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
T
In a few days I'll be posting a new article about using the long doll making needles as a tatting needle. I've already made one and it works nicely. Has anyone else done this before? If not, what other items have you found to use for tatting?

Last edited by Tatting_Editor_Beverly; 02/16/08 05:08 AM.

Beverly Elrod
Tatting
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
S
Hi, I have been a shuttle tatter for 47 years but have never heard of needle tatting, what is the difference and how is it done?

Sue Macniven
World record spinner & Advanced fly caster
R
R
I got to know about needle tatting about 5 years ago and I wanted to experiment it. As I live in Uruguay, where tatting is not a popular craft, no tatting needle is available, (just shuttles). So I tried with the kind of needles used to make dolls and matresses, but they were too thick and I had to use thick thread; so I looked for thinner needles with the same characteristics and it worked very well.
I have to use some kind of protection on my finger because of the needle point, but it works.

K
K
I have used the Susan Bates 5" weaving needle [#14085]
www.coatsandclark.com

M
M
I too am an advid shuttle tatter and in 1992 I learned about needle tatting and enjoyed it so much I wrote a learn how book about it and you can go to my web page www.SouthernArtistry.org/Myrtie_Highsmith and find out just what I do and about me and my book.
If their are any question that I can help you with just let me know. the bigest choise of needles is Havels, Lacis, and Handy Hands brands. To use doll needles your work is not going to be as tight as the needle will not be the same size from end to end.
Myrtie

T
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
T
There are a lot of good comments here. I'd like to make a reply to some of them.

I, also, live in an area where it's difficult to find the tatting needles. If I want to purchase actual tatting needles I have to drive approximately 75 miles to a small town. And, I only have one choice of whose needles to purchase.

While it's true that doll needles are not the same size from one end to the other, they are fairly close. Yes, you do need to tat looser and yes, you do need to use a larger thread. The idea behind using a doll needle (or any needle besides one designed specifically for tatting) is that at least you'll be able to tat. No, you won't have an accurate gauge but, since most tatted things are not gauged, there's no worry.

As for using other types of needles and using a protectant so that you don't poke yourself, trying using my suggestion in my articles of sanding the point down to a round shape (using sand paper). It'll make your tatting more enjoyable.

Thanks for your comments and I'm going to go check out the web site listed here in the replies.

Beverly Elrod
Tatting

Moderated by  Georgia, AK Tatter 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.