logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Research has proven that what you focus on gets stronger. So, if you focus on the negative, guess what? The negativity around you is getting stronger!

Would you agree or disagree with that?

(The correct "pearls of wisdom" answer in our newsletter is a.)

If you haven't subscribed to our free weekly Self Development newsletter yet, please take a minute to sign up - here's the link: Self Development Newsletter

Here's the newest article on the Self Development site:
Childhood Roles In Our Adult Lives

Have a great week!

~Sharon

Sharon Michaels
Empowering and mentoring women to greater personal and professional success.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Sharon,

Definitely. I suffer from clinical depression and borderline bi-polar, and the days that I call my "bile-black" days can be very self-feeding.

The downs are initially caused by my condition, but it is worsened when I give in to it by staying indoors, especially when I stay in bed all day.

When my husband points this out, I will force myself to get out and do something. It is not easy at all, and sometimes will result in a panic attack, but more often it works to lift my mood, or at least help me not to dwell on it and make it worse.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
When your depressed how do you focus on any positive, i am bipolar and my downs are overwhelming with sadness, i can't think of happy positive thoughts,

Rosie L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I know it's difficult to focus on positive things when the downs are overwhelming.

I would suggest this is the time you sourround yourself with positives. How about some positive music playing?

Listen to your doctor and follow his/her advice.

Sharon Michaels
Empowering and mentoring women to greater personal and professional success.
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: skyhaven
When your depressed how do you focus on any positive, i am bipolar and my downs are overwhelming with sadness, i can't think of happy positive thoughts,

That's why my husband works so hard to get me out of the house.

It is very easy to settle in where we are comfortable and sink further into the depression.

But when we leave the house, and have something else to focus on - say a museum, a garden, or even a movie - it can, at least for a little while, distract from the depression.

I'm not saying it cures it by any means, but it can keep it from growing deeper.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Gecko
Gecko
I believe thoughts have energy and what you focus on gets stronger and becomes bigger.

I always think about when I bought my first car and then I saw so many that looked just like mine --- I never noticed them before because I wasn't focused on that particular make, model or color.

Sharon Michaels
�Empowering and mentoring women to greater personal and professional success.�

Abundance and Wealth Editor and
Self Development Editor

The Abundance and Wealth Site
The Most Recent Abundance and Wealth Featured Article

Sharon's Power To Succeed Blog

Zebra
Zebra
I read in a Tony Robbins book that he learned to drive race cars and one of the hardest things they have to do is not look at the wall (those big concrete walls around those racetrack curves).

If they look at or focus on the wall, the car goes there and voila', crash, boom, bang.

So, they have to learn to focus on where they want the car to go, not where they don't want it to go.

It's the same message as in all the self-help literature--give your attention to what you want, not what you don't want. What you focus on grows.

If we could all ignore war and focus on peace, wouldn't that be grand? I read (actually heard on the audiobook)in "The Secret" that Mother Theresa wouldn't attend an "anti-war" rally. She told them "when you have a peace rally, invite me and I'll come." Smart lady.

I am trying so hard to focus on what I want, but while I consider myself an actively positive person, I catch myself focusing on negativity, or what I do not want, quite often. I need reprogramming! LOL

C
Zebra
Zebra
C
One thing that I've started doing is keeping a set of index cards with positive affirmations written on them. I also mix in several cards that state things that I want to accomplish. I read these many times during the day and especially if I'm feeling a bit down. I can take them with me and read them while waiting in line or for an appointment.

Another idea is to write three positive things about yourself on a sticky note and place it where you will see it first thing in the morning. Such as the bathroom mirror. This can help set the pace for the day.

I found this to be a helpful site:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
J
Koala
Koala
J
I really believe that what you focus on will grow. That's why I focus on health, having plenty of money, being happy to pay any bills that come in, loving my family and friends, and the success of my businesses.

I really believe that by focusing on these things, they will expand in my life.

Putting a sticky note where you can see if first thing in the morning is a great idea, chloe21. If you put stickys right where you can see them often, it reminds you to channel your thoughts to positive things and see those positive things grow in your life.

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.