logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Zebra
Zebra
No, plants are living beings, but they're not sentient beings... Sentient beings are those that can make decisions not necessarily based on simple reflex...

But you're right on the aware Mindfulness....(previous post)

All we can do is our very best, and try from the start to do no harm... That pretty much covers every precept, really....

Last edited by Alexandra; 05/14/08 05:15 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Thanks for all your thoughtful responses and encouragement Alexandra!

So to take refuge, is giving up meat pretty much a requirement?

As i do low carb, that leaves me in a tight place.

Is eating free-range, humanely-treated meat considered acceptable amongst Buddhists?

Last edited by Jilly; 05/14/08 05:23 PM.
Zebra
Zebra
No, giving up meat is not a requirement... although many Buddhists after a while, personally find it difficult to continue practising, and eating meat.
but it's a totally personal thing. For example, today, at Vesak celebrations, many dishes, prepared by both the monastery kitchen volunteers, and dishes brought in by visitors, contained meat....

organic, free range...to some Buddhists it doen't matter what the provenance, killing is still killing.
It's like saying is it different killing an orphan, to killing a kid with parents....

I might start a new topic on this one.
but we'll have to be mindful.
Of all the subjects likely to rally get people riled, even in Buddhism, it's this one....

Theravada Buddhism does not obligate people to give up meat.
Mahayana says you must.
Teachings differ slightly on this, between traditions....

Zebra
Zebra
I thought I would share my Vesak celebrations day, with you all....

What a day....

I arrived well ahead of schedule, which was just as well...!
I made my way to the kitchens to hand over the bits and pieces I had brought with me, and then took a wander around the grounds, and saw the bunting, flags and decorations the Monks, nuns and volunteers were busy puting up everywhere...
I took a walk around the splendid stupa in the meadow, then made my way to the temple and found myself a 'ringside seat' (on account of the accoustics not being ideal, and incipient deafness creeping up on me slowly but inexorably....)
The Abbot finally took his 'seat' at the front, surrounded by the Sangha, and welcomed one and all. The Temple was packed to bursting. They had anticipated the attendance of possibly two, maybe three hundred people... Wrong.....Estimates gave up at just over 500....!
The Morning preparations began, and I rapidly realised that even with a booklet, I was hopelessly lost... The chanting was so swift and melodious, it was difficult to keep up.
But then, came the moment...
I, together with at least twenty others, there specifically for the purpose, began to recite the Triple Gem Refuge, in Pali... then we were led in the 5 Precepts.....
...And that was it.
Without pausing, the Abbot and the Sangha, continued the morning offerings, and I merely sat and permitted the melodic, mesmerising, almost hypnotic chanting to flow over me, like a humming wave....
At first, I felt somewhat awkward that I was unable to follow it... a bit self-conscious of my non-involvement.... but then, of course, I knew that simply being there was involvement.... We sat, each one holding their hands together, and bowed as appropriate...
It was all just right, and peaceful....
Afterwards, we left the temple, and were all given a dish with some rice upon it, to distribute to the Sangha.... this took quite some time, as so many people were participating.... Suffice to say the Monks and Nuns ate well, today....!

Then we all entered the sala, (dining area) in a long, steady and seemingly endless queue, to dine on some absolutely wonderful food...I was stunned at the huge diversity of dishes available... of course, while much had been prepared by the volunteer cooks at the Monastery, many dishes had also been brought by visitors...hence the mix of lasagne, curry and fried eggs....!
At 2:00pm, we returned to the Temple, (although many visitors had left by now...) to listen to a Dhmma talk by Sister Ajahn Candasiri, on the Buddha's Birth, Enlightenment and passing into Parinibbana... and then we ajourned for tea...

The day drew to a close, and people began to drift off....

I have not yet received my Dhamma name, but I spoke to the Abbott, who advised me to think a while upon my commitment, and possibly confer with a nun or monk...perhaps to seek a mentor and Dhamma guide... who would then assist with selecting a name.
Sounds ideal to me....

What a day....

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That sounds really lovely, Alexandra! It must have been quite wonderful smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Alexandra, that is so great. I am glad it was so meaningful. I bet you will remember this day. smile

Zebra
Zebra
It just goes to show though, that 'human nature' pervades even the most 'spiritual' of places....

I promise, hand on heart, this happened:

Vesak Puja day.
Time: 2:00pm. The Dhamma talk is about to start.

The temple is filled with laypersons wishing to participate.
To the left, is a small group of monks, each sitting and waiting for the Dhamma talk to start...nicely spaced apart, each has a good view and space in which to sit....
Just as we are about to begin, a tall monk enters, and places his kneeling cloth slap bang directly infront of one of the other monks.
I do mean, slap-bang in front...
There are plenty of other spaces...
(I think to myself, even... *"Why, with every other mat available, did he put himself there, I wonder.....?"*)
The monk, now directly behind him, has his view completely obscured.
His face, although nearly expressionless, nevertheless calmly betrays his own surprise....the eyebrows move, almost imperceptibly, and he shoots SUCH a look at the monk in front, but it is gone in an instant.

so, without ceremony or fuss....

He moved.

Less than three feet away, I witnessed this small interlude, this tiny episode....
And to my shame, I lowered my head, and smiled.....

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Wow, that is a very cool story. Almost a parable.

I do think it's okay to see the humor in a situation, though, so your tiny smile is, i am sure, forgivable. smile

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
On one hand it's great that he just moved. On the other hand, if someone made a quiet comment, the "clueless monk" might have realized that he's been doing this for YEARS to people and become more aware of how he effects others. If nobody ever tells him, how will he ever learn?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Zebra
Zebra
The hall was in silence and meditation, awaiting the speaker to begin.... There's every possibility someone might have said something later...
but I guess there and then, was not the time or place.....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.