Print Thread
#415021 05/05/08 10:26 AM
Trish-D Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Do you feel Pagans have a more difficult time finding recovery programs for addiction and abuse issues in the 12-step paradigm?

There are Pagan recovery groups out there and adaptations of the 12 steps to a Pagan world view. What do you think about this?

Years ago I attended an adult children of alcoholics group that was very Christian centered and I felt very uncomfortable. A lot has changed since then, and I think that's a good thing.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I can completely relate to the uncomfortable-ness Trish...I moved to the South from New Hampshire...it's like being in a new country. It is like going to church is a requirement not a choice.

Rock on with the pagan or even agnostic/atheist support groups.

It seems to me that with equal opportunity rights in regards to society that religion is too staunchy to follow suit. Granted there are areas that are more accepting than others, but still.

Course...in a twisted way it could be read that apparently only Xtians have issues that require a 12 step program?

Last edited by Wendy Tall One; 05/05/08 10:49 PM.

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

L
L
Hi Trish,

I don't normally post much, but I saw your message and had to answer.

I joined AA in 1993. I have been substance free since then. Many of the AA rooms have such a Christian overtone that I almost stopped going. But I read the AA history and achieved an understanding of what Bill W was trying to accomplish. He decidedly was not basing his 12 Step system on a Christian god.

In 2001 I wrote an article about Pagans in Recovery that is posted over at Witchvox. That article had such a huge response from others longing for Recovery outside of the Christian overtones found in many secular recovery groups that I started a message board called Pagans in Recovery a year later.

The message board is active and recovery focussed. We have many Paths represented, not only Pagan ones. Anyone in any form of recovery is welcome to join.

We also use The Recovery Spiral book. An excellent Pagan-centric viewing of the standard 12 Steps.

As a result of my forum, several members started up their own real life Pagan Recovery meetings. Last I heard there were 5. There are also other groups doing the same thing.

The feelings of being excluded from secular Recovery groups and non-recovery oriented Pagans is a frequent topic of conversation on the Pagan recovery groups I belong to. So in answer to your question, I'd have to say yes. It is harder to become sober as a Pagan within regular Program rooms or within drinking Pagan communities.

Lyon #415464 05/06/08 01:30 PM
Trish-D Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Thank you for posting the link Lyon. Yours is one of the groups I have heard of.

I do understand what you mean about Bill W.'s intentions. I think his main goal was to sober people up, but the 12 steps as they were originally written leave someone outside of mainstream religion out in the cold.

Years ago, I read Charlotte Kasl's "16 Steps.." I was struck by her argument against using the term "powerless" which I believe is in the first step.

On the one hand, I understand that an addict can come to feel powerless against their addiction. On the other hand, her argument is that one reason many become addicted is because they feel powerless already, especially minorities and survivors of abuse.

I can understand both arguments. I guess like most things, I believe that whatever works for the individual should be considered. I have met 12-step adherents who believe that their way is the only way a person can really get rid of addiction, which is simply untrue. I tend to see a lot of gray areas in issues like this instead of only black and white, which I'm sure you do too.

Thank you for starting your group and being such an inspiration to other members of your forum and the Pagan community.

Last edited by TrishPaganEd; 05/06/08 01:31 PM.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com

Moderated by  Ninjahedgewych 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.