Page 1 of 2 1 2
#414597 05/03/08 10:52 PM
C
cela Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
C
I'm trying to come up with an alternative to a sofa for our daughter's first apartment. The budget is tight, so, a high-quality sofa is out; but she'll need some generous seating in the living room. I've thought about pillows on the floor, but that seems too informal.

I'm ignorant about building, but it does seem like a rectangular box could be constructed and topped with an upholstered piece of foam. Has anyone tried something like this, or does anyone have other creative solutions??

cela
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
A futon is cheaper than a sofa, and has the advantage of becoming an extra bed...or the only bed, if it comes to that.

C
cela Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
C
Yes, we thought about that; but we're trying to go even cheaper. If we went the futon route, though, what should we look for in a futon? What are the marks of quality in one? I know some of them are not comfortable to sleep on.

Thanks for any input!!

cela
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
GO for a wood outer frame, with a metal "bed frame". Those are the most supportive and attractive when placed in sofa position.

Opt for a really thick "mattress" - do not skimp on this part. Also go for one that has a removable cover. Or even better, buy an extra cover. One that is machine washable.

And when you sleep at night - make it up with sheets just like a bed. This prevent body oils and sweat from sleep seeping into the covers.

(I used to be a single mom in a small apartment in my parents basement - I know of which I speak!) wink

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
C
cela Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
C
Thank you, Michelle and Claybird

cela
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I definitely agree with the futon idea. We have a futon in our living room now, my dad has two futons in his living room. They are quite versatile and you can get one quite cheaply. As she makes more money she can always trade up the mattress to get a better one if she wants.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
While Ikea might be out of your budget, go take a look at what kinds of sofas, bed conversions and futons they have going. Bring your tape measure and a notebook and you'll get some killer ideas that you can do far more cheaply at home.

D
Gecko
Gecko
D
While futons are a really popular alternative, I personally don't like them because I find them very uncomfortable to sit on. We just spent 4 days away at the cutest little lake cottage last month.

The only living room seating was a futon chair and futon sofa. It was impossible to get comfortable bec we had to lean so far back to sit in them. I think the cheaper futons are even more uncomfortable bec of the thin cushioning.

Since it's your daughter's 1st apartment, I would look in the paper or check out yard sales for a used sofa.

I know it seems a little icky to think of used upholstery, but you can always get it cleaned or cover it with a cheap slipcover.

People who are moving often need to get rid of things in a hurry and will sell real cheap. I also often see ads from people who just want to change their decor. Because they've lost interest in their old decor, their mindset is often to sell it cheap bec they just don't value it any more. Not because there is anything wrong with it. You can often find a sofa and chair set that won't cost hardly anything from sellers like that.

This is a good time to start looking at yard sales.

Donna smile

I always liked the "Day Beds". Some of them are really cottage type looking and have a trundle bed underneath, so you can have two extra beds for visitors. They look nice with a ton of pillows tossed on them and make a really nice nap place for day time use. Or you can find some with drawers under them instead of the trundle. Living in apartments most of my adult life, I find that it is wise if every piece of furniture I get has some storage area in it.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
You could also just buy a regular bed and treat it like a day bed with pillows all over it. That gives lots of seating and the coverlet and pillows can be color coordinated with the rest of the room. Then get some storage boxes to slide under the bed. Beds can be picked up cheap at second hand stores. 'Cottage Chic' is a very inexspensive way to decorate and furnish. The link below shows some 'cottage chic' and although the furniture might be expensive, you can get great ideas, pick up some old second-hand furniture and paint it by using the pictures as models:

www.cottagechicstore.com

Last edited by Phyllis NatAmEd; 05/08/08 03:56 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.