Shalom,

Scripture references are from,
the SET (Stone Edition Tanach) or the CJB (Complete Jewish Bible) for the OT
and the PNT (Power New Testament) for the NT unless otherwise specified.

Acts 18:8. And Crispos, the leader of the synagogue, with his whole house, believed in the Lord, and many of the Corinthians, when they heard, were believing and were being baptized. 9. And the Lord said to Paul at night through a vision, �You must not be afraid! But you must be speaking and do not be silent, 10. for I AM with you and no one will be able to lay hold of you to harm you, for many of My people are in this city.� 11. And he stayed among them a year and six months teaching the Word of God.

Before I really get to this teaching we should at least glance at some of the things that transpire leading up to this if for no other reason than to be informed.
Claudius was actually, Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus. Yeah, so now you understand why they called him Claud. Okay, just having fun but Claudius is how he is best known. He ascended to the throne because of an ailment that is believed to have been Cerebral Palsy. Because of his ailment he was allowed to survive when otherwise routine rival cleansing was taking place by other family members attempting to ascend to the throne and by senators attempting to ascend. He personally accented to having exaggerated this ailment in order to protect himself. For us the interesting point however is why he was forcing the Jews out of Rome. Would you believe it was the Christians fault?

Previous to Claudius, in order for a religion to be practiced in Rome, it had to be seen as an established and/or recognized religion. Judaism was well established by this time and recognized the world over and equally hated by some. During these early years of Christianity they were seen as a sect or denomination of Judaism. This was easily established by what we read in Acts 18-19 where they are meeting and teaching in various synagogues. However with Claudius on the throne he wanted to reestablish many of the old things of Roman life. As a part of this he kicked out basically all religions other than the ancient Roman beliefs. He did not kick them entirely out of the empire but just out of Rome thus what we are reading is basically a diaspora of sorts but only from Rome. Because of this Paul, Priscilla and Aquila meet. Their meeting actually helps to explain...
Acts 18:5. After both Silas and Timothy came from Macedonia, Paul was wholly absorbed in preaching, bearing witness to the Jewish people, that Jesus was the Messiah. 6. But after they resisted and blasphemed, he shook his garments and said to them, �Your blood is upon your head: I am clean from this. From now on I shall go to the heathens.�

The three of them meet in Corinth because of this expulsion by Claudius. Since they all had the same vocation they stayed together. All three were trained as Prayer Shawl makers which is a trade that required rabbinical training to perform. A Prayer Shawl must be made in a specific way and by specific people in order for the rabbis to certify it as Kosher or Holy, a garment dedicated for religious use in this case. These Prayer Shawls were also often referred to as tents, prayer closets, cloaks, garments or outer garments. These Prayer Shawls are highly prized and protected garments. Today a person may have one their entire life and then be buried with it draped around their neck. They are referred to as "tents" by some because of the way they would be draped over ones head and covering ones eyes as they pray. Therefore when we read above that Paul "shook his garments" we are reading that he is shaking the garments, the Prayer Shawls that he is selling and not the clothes that he is wearing. As you read this then see his frustration being vented towards the Jews! It would look something like Mr. Magoo or Grandpa Simpson shaking their cane at someone. The very people who are supposed to be buying his merchandise and thus providing him an income to live upon, he is now aggravated with to the point that he is distancing himself from them. Nobody else in the known world wears these Prayer Shawls so how would you suppose that he is going to make an income now?

Acts 18:9. And the Lord said to Paul at night through a vision, �You must not be afraid! But you must be speaking and do not be silent, 10. for I AM with you and no one will be able to lay hold of you to harm you, for many of My people are in this city.
He was now a full-time minister for YHVH. He had already had an encounter with YHVH on the road to Damascus. He had already had some specific training from the other Apostles. He had already been evangelizing and now he was to separate himself the rest of the way to enter into this full-time lifestyle for YHVH.
Let this be a lesson for ANYONE who thinks they are "gifted" into ministry, full-time!
You don't simply walk up to your Pastor and tell him you want to enter full-time ministry.
You don't simply go to college to be a minister.
You don't simply graduate from seminary and are therefore "qualified".
It took Paul many years to be qualified in the eyes of YHVH. He toiled in the secular world and supported himself before YHVH finally acknowledged that he was ready. Man had already given their approval over him but it was not until this point that YHVH did and YHVH is the only one whose approval matters!

One question you may want to ask ever "preacher" you meet is...
"When did you have a face to face encounter with YHVH and HE sent you into the ministry, full-time?"
If they hedge their answer in any way, understand the difference between what Paul was before this encounter and afterwards. Before this he was a "worker" for YHVH, a part-time Evangelists but now he was set apart to YHVH and sent by YHVH. Now he was dependent upon YHVH to provide for his every need through the generosity of others, through their offerings and tithes. Prior to this he was expected by YHVH to provide for himself, he was expected to experience the real world.
To that person who "thinks" they are "called," you are not 'called' to the ministry, no one is, they are "gifted", so get a job!
To that college or seminary graduate; get a job!
NOTICE:
Rom 11:29. for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.
YHVH has and gives many "gifts" - plural.
HE has only one "calling" - singular!
HIS calling is to repentance, to become a child of HIS made in the image of The FIRSTBORN of many Brethren and this calling is to everyone.
Everyone was predestined or made for this purpose, for this calling.
However, not everyone will accept this calling.
2 Pet 3:9. The Lord does not tarry with His promise, as some consider slowness, but He is patient with you, not wanting any to be destroyed but all to come to repentance.

Another thing we want to note about the things happening here, with Paul is a standard by which to judge whether a person is an Apostle or a 'traveling preacher?"
Acts 18:9. And the Lord said to Paul at night through a vision, �You must not be afraid! But you must be speaking and do not be silent, 10. for I AM with you and no one will be able to lay hold of you to harm you, for many of My people are in this city.� 11. And he stayed among them a year and six months teaching the Word of God.
Traveling preachers don't stay around very long! They may be in town for a meeting or two, maybe a week or even a month but if for an extended time when the numbers drop they will leave.
An Apostle, a "True Apostle," stays until the people are established, organized and winning others to The Lord. A True Apostle is there as long as YHVH needs him to be in order to train-up a body of Believers.
The next time you hear of someone calling themselves an Apostle put them to the test. Not just with your congregation but with several. See where they have been and how long did they stay unless this is their first congregation then just wait and watch? Of the more experienced "Apostles", determine what role they played in those other congregations. Then find out what happened in those congregations while they were there and what has happened since. Did these men make and/or leave an impact? In other words, "Was YHVH with them," Emmanuel?
If truly HE was then they should have had a dramatic and lasting impact. Paul surely meets these requirements!
Acts 18:8. And Crispos, the leader of the synagogue, with his whole house, believed in the Lord, and many of the Corinthians, when they heard, were believing and were being baptized.

As Paul figuratively steps out onto the troubled waters of Corinth YHVH encourages him, gives him direction and confirms HIS word to Paul. He has been encouraged by the leading of Crispos and his family to The Lord.
He has been told directly by YHVH not to be afraid and that HE would protect Paul.
Then he saw this promise fulfilled for the first time...
Acts 18:12. And while Gallionos was proconsul of Achia the Jewish people, with one mind, rose up against Paul and led him to the judicial bench 13. saying, �This one induces men to worship God contrary to the Torah.� 14. When Paul was about to open his mouth Gallionos said to the Jewish people, �If indeed it was a wrong or evil crime, O Jewish people, according to reason then I would put up with you, 15. but if on the other hand it is a question concerning doctrine and names according to your Torah, you will see to it: I do not wish to be judge of this.� 16. And he drove them away from the court. 17. And then they all laid hold of Sosthenes, the leader of the synagogue, and were striking him in front of the bench: but none of these things was concerning Gallionos.
What had Sosthenes done?
For no apparent reason he was being beaten. This was the leader of the synagogue. This was their rabbi, their teacher. YHVH's Word, HIS Promise, HIS Logos to Paul is being literally fulfilled in Sosthenes.
Matt 1:23. �Behold the virgin will be pregnant and will bear a son,
and they will call His name Emanuel.� (Is 7:14)
which is translated �God with us.�
With Paul is YHVH as HE will be with anyone who willingly lays down their life to accept YHVH's will for their life. Once we have laid our life down, once we have emptied ourselves of our "SELF" (a dirty four letter word for sin), and given our selves entirely over to serving YHVH, HE will protect us, HE will provide for us, HE will be with us, emmanuel.

This "emmanuel" is not to be confused with the name applied to Y'SHUA but it is a description of the action of YHVH with all of YHVH's children, with all Born Again Believers, for "With us is YHVH" or "YHVH with us." Since we really don't know much of anything about the life of Y'SHUA before He turned 30 I won't speculate about it. When He turns 30, which was the minimum age to enter the Jewish priesthood or to be declared a rabbi, we know that at His baptism YHVH manifests that HE is going to be "with Him." It is from this point that Y'SHUA is to be declared, "emmanuel." It is from this moment that with HIM is YHVH fully.
In Hebrews 13:5 we read...
Hbr 13:5. Do not in any way love money, but be satisfied with your possessions. For He said, �I will not abandon you and I will not ever forsake you,
This is but a paraphrase of what Moses told Joshua and the people of Israel in Deuteronomy...
Deut 31:6 Be strong, be bold, don't be afraid or frightened of them, for ADONAI your God is going with you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you."
31:7 Next Moshe summoned Y'hoshua and, in the sight of all Isra'el, said to him, "Be strong, be bold, for you are going with this people into the land ADONAI swore to their ancestors he would give them. You will be the one causing them to inherit it.
31:8 But ADONAI - it is he who will go ahead of you. He will be with you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you, so don't be afraid or downhearted."
What is added in Deuteronomy is also added in Hebrews but rarely ever mentioned...
Hbr 13:6. so that we are confident to say,
�The Lord is my helper,
and I will not be afraid,
what will man do to me?� (Ps 118:6)
Is this not also what YHVH has promised Paul in our text?
Emmanuel, "with us is YHVH", is not just a person it is an action, a Promise, a Logos word from YHVH to us. It is a banner that we can carry over us into battle with satan and his demons, his workers of iniquity.

Was YHVH with Y'SHUA?
Would YHVH ever leave Y'SHUA or forsake Him?
Then why was Y'SHUA tempted of satan?
Simply put, because Y'SHUA still had the freewill choice to leave YHVH had He so chosen to do so!
Lk 22:42. saying, �Father, if You are willing You must now take this cup from Me: nevertheless not My will, but Yours must continually be done.�
Even up to and upon the cross. Even after the cross when He first met Mary there would be opportunities for Y'SHUA to choose His own will over that of The FATHER. Since He did not we have His life as our eternal sacrifice before YHVH.
Rom 8:28. And we know that, for those who love God, He works all things for good, for those who are called according to His purpose. 29. Because whom He knew beforehand, He appointed ahead of time, because they have the same form of the likeness of His Son, for He was Firstborn among many brothers:
As of today, do you look like your FIRSTBORN, older Brother, Y'SHUA?

Shaking everything that can be shaken of "Traditional" (Mk 7:13) religion!
Visit us @ The Tree!